Local Hiking Spots

Bradford Yau, Staff Writer

Hiking is an activity that people love to do. Although it’s existed since the beginning of mankind, hiking hasn’t died out yet. In fact, it is gaining popularity once again, as high schoolers have begun using their free time to go hiking, instead playing video games or going shopping. However, people often don’t hike until they find spots that they like to hike to, and there are closeby places for an enjoyable hike.

The most popular spot for AHS students is Chantry Flats. This is because of a multitude of factors that appeal to the typical Arcadian. One of these is the location. Chantry is a very accessible location for most people in Arcadia, mainly because it is one of the closest hiking spots. Now, people may complain about the somewhat risky drive that is required to get up to the hills. However, many people also see this as positive, as it only adds to the thrill that comes from the experience of hiking. Thrill seekers can also cliff-dive into the lake. This is yet another popular activity to do, as people can film themselves doing daring things that can earn them likes on Instagram and Facebook.

Another destination that people can enjoy is Bailey Canyon Wilderness Park. Although this might be a relatively unknown place, it is a good place to go hiking. It is located on W. Carter Ave, which is near the Foothills area. Here, people can enjoy climbing the steep hills, which is another challenging thing that they can enjoy with their friends, but also while getting some great cardio in. It also has a great view where many people have taken iconic Instagram pictures. This is an obscure spot that people should check out.

Overall, hiking is a great thing for students to do, and it is actually more accessible than they might think. Chantry Flats and Bailey Canyon Wilderness Park are just two examples of great spots, and there are more as well. Instead of staying at home and relaxing, consider going for a hike!