Avid Yoga Sessions

Ashley Lee, Staff Writer

As students at AHS, we lead busy lives – we’re overloaded with homework, grades, sports, and other extracurriculars. This often leads to a stressful mind and body, an unpleasant feeling for all. Many find it difficult to reduce their stress levels or are simply unaware of proper stress management practices. One of the most popular methods to alleviate stress is through the trending practice of yoga.

Fortunately, students have just the opportunity to participate in yoga right here at AHS! Believe it or not, the Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) program is currently hosting a yoga fundraiser right on campus during the months of March and April. These after school sessions are open to anyone interested in a gentle workout. The last session before Spring Break is March 21 in the MPR. This is a great opportunity for you to support the AVID program while reducing your stress through a beneficial activity. Classes are taught by Mrs. Leslie Klipstein, advisor of AVID and our campus club, Voices of Ability. Please note that there is a $10 requested donation for participants, and students should bring their own yoga mats. Take advantage of this opportunity to care for your mental and physical health all while supporting an organization on campus!

Mrs. Klipstein’s yoga class has many benefits and is for everyone! Mrs. Klipstein said, “If you can breathe, you can do yoga! Yoga, both the physical poses and the breathing, can be done anywhere, any time. By focusing on the breath and coordinating it to movement, you learn to control what you can control and let go of the rest.” This meditative exercise allows one to calm the nerves and focus on the present, without having to worry about what is on the mind.

Yoga also helps to reduce tension and relaxes the physical body. Surprisingly, the unique postures in this activity have a calming effect on your entire system. Mrs. Klipstein elaborated, “Yoga is a practice, which means it’s not about perfection or looking a certain way. It’s not about achieving anything but a sense of presence and peace. By practicing yoga — which simply means doing it again and again and showing up for yourself — you can gain that ever-elusive sense of steadiness and ease in your body and in your life.”

The meditation component also helps you to focus your mind and slow it down through breath awareness, eventually leading you towards a more relaxed internal state. Stress and tension in the body can cause you to breathe in a rapid manner, which can lead to more anxiety. Yoga naturally leads you to breathe more effectively, utilizing the full capacity of your diaphragm and lungs. Yoga may also unconsciously encourage you to “live in the present” and be more conscious of your well being. Last but not least, emotional energy is effectively released during yoga practices. These built up negative emotions inside of you create pressure and need to be released.

If you have never tried yoga before, this is the perfect chance to do so! Grab a friend and check out the class next Wednesday if you’re curious about yoga or are looking for a stress relieving activity. And remember, don’t forget to care for your mental health!