Beauty and the Beast

Tracy Xia, Staff Writer

In the past, Arcadia Stage has presented numerous spectacular performances, such as The Giver and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. This season, Arcadia Stage has prepared a classic fairy tale: Beauty and the Beast, an all-time favorite and successful film. This story does not disappoint in the theater version, especially portrayed by our talented Arcadian performers. The students have prepared diligently and worked hard in many rehearsals in order to give their best performance. From Mar. 15 to 17, you can watch the Arcadia theater students bring the classic French tale to life at the PAC.

The play stars mostly advanced theatre students. The students had to audition for their roles and the most suitable actors were chosen. Other than working hard to perfect their performance during class time, the students also had to attend many after school rehearsals in order to bring a phenomenal theatre experience to their audience. Oftentimes, members had rehearsals after school until 10 p.m. at night. Behind the scenes, they have sets, props, and lighting, all carefully prepared and crafted by the AHS Stagecraft program. The program guarantees a high quality and impressive play, showcasing the professionalism and talent of Arcadia students. Beauty and the Beast will surely be a beautiful and unforgettable play.

Beauty and the Beast was originally published in 1740 by French novelist Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve in a collection of original tales. Since then, the story has been rewritten, retold, and remade countless times, including the Disney film version we all know and love. This fairytale has also been performed in other professional theaters and adapted to ballet. For those who don’t know, Beauty and the Beast tells the tale of a young woman named Belle who becomes “imprisoned” in the castle of a prince cursed with the appearance of a hideous beast. However, she comes to learn of the kind man behind the Beast’s outer appearance and falls in love. The story is an embodiment of the age-old moral we are taught numerous times: don’t judge a book by its cover.

Taking on such a beautiful story, Arcadia Stage’s performance will surely be a learning experience for many audience members. According to senior Matthew Pender who is playing the role of Gaston, he states, “I think this show is going to be a very unique experience for the cast and the audience because there are so many emotions in one musical. This is my last show at Arcadia High School, and it has been quite a ride. I’m glad I’m ending these four years as Gaston!”

First year member junior Rachel Kao opened up stating that, “This is my third year as a part of the AHS theatre department and it has been truly incredible. Everyone always gives 100% and they are so passionate about being the best they can be and giving the best performance they can give. They lift me up and inspire me each and every day to have fun, love others, love myself and what I do.”

To accomodate to the busy schedules of potential audience members, including students, the play offers four different showtimes. From Mar. 15 to 17 (Thursday to Saturday), the Arcadia Stage opens the curtain at 7:00 p.m. and offers an additional daytime show, referred to as a matinee, on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. In addition to the show itself, a special one-time event, Enchanted Rose Tea with Belle and Friends, is offered on Mar. 17 at 11:00 a.m. for $55. The event allows guests to enjoy tea and desserts and includes a Premium VIP ticket to the 1:00 p.m. show, letting the guests to enter the theater at an even earlier time than regular VIP guests. Tickets are only $10 for students and seniors, $15 for general audience, and $30 for regular VIP seating. Make sure to get your tickets before they sell out because they surely will!