Must-Watch, Oscar Nominated Films

Jenny Qiu, Staff Writer

The biggest movie awards, the Oscars, take place in just a couple of days on Mar. 4. The nominations feature works from established directors as well as some small independent films. With such a diverse selection of exceptional movies, it may be daunting to decide which film to watch. Each acclaimed movie is unique in its own way, and all have deep themes that relate to the heart of the human spirit.

Call Me By Your Name

Featuring rising star Timothée Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name, originally a novel by André Aciman, is a beautifully shot film that tells the story of two young men falling in love. Making waves in the movie industry, the movie not only deals with the intensity of first love, but more importantly, with the idea of embracing who you are.

The Post

One of the highly anticipated dramas of the year, The Post stars two of Hollywood’s most prestigious actors, Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks. It follows the journey of Katharine Graham, the first female publisher of The Washington Post, as she risks her very own freedom to reveal the truth about government secrets. Nominated for Best Picture and Best Actress, this drama brings an important part of history back to life.

I, Tonya

Formatted similarly to a documentary, I, Tonya, takes a darkly comedic spin on the life of disgraced figure skater, Tonya Harding. Narrated by contradictory interviews from Harding and her husband, the film is driven by absurd events that are wonderfully portrayed by the actors. It is no surprise that this wildly entertaining movie has earned nominations for Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Film Editing.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Already winning numerous major awards, including four Golden Globes, this film is considered a top candidate for many Oscars. Inspired by a true story, the movie is about a mother who boldly paints controversial messages on three billboards to stir action in her daughter’s murder case. Shot beautifully, the movie deftly incorporates humor with sincere tenderness while reflecting a serious theme.

The Shape of Water

A modern-day fairytale, The Shape of Water artistically captures the imagination of director Guillermo del Toro. About a mute woman who works in a high-security laboratory and falls in love with a mysterious sea creature, the movie details an eccentric, yet powerful story of love. It currently leads the Oscar nominees with thirteen nominations.

Lady Bird

A coming-of-age movie that many of us high schoolers can relate to, Lady Bird tells the story of an outspoken high school teen whose relationship with her mother is put to the test. With a star-studded, young cast, including Saoirse Ronan, Lucas Hedges, and Timothée Chalamet, this film is emotional, hilarious, and heartwarming.

Get Out

A thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat, Get Out is about Chris, an African-American man who goes on a weekend trip to meets his Caucasian girlfriend’s parents and discovers disturbing secrets. With a major plot twist, this movie enthralls the audience and enlightens them on interracial relationships and the concept of race.

Other movies, including Dunkirk, Coco, Beauty and the Beast, and Baby Driver, have also been nominated. They have all received great acclaim and well-deserved nominations so before the Academy Awards begin, run over to your local movie theater and watch some of these Oscar favorites!