Jazz at LACMA

Jasmine Oang, Staff Writer

For over 20 years, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) has welcomed over 42,000 visitors annually for their Friday night series, Jazz at LACMA. Featuring some of Southern California’s most talented musicians and under the direction of music program director, Mitch Glickman, this event, which runs from April to November, is not only popular among locals but is also an eye-opening experience for visitors of all ages; TimeOut Los Angeles even called it a an “L.A. rite of passage.”

Over the years, artists have performed both original pieces and covers at the event. Some of L.A.’s most well-known musicians such as saxophonist, Wayne Shorter, and bassist, John Clayton, have performed over the years, but if you’re not into the icons, this also an opportunity to discover new artists and music. This year, some of the more anticipated performers include renowned guitarist, Wolfgang Schalk, and singer, Angie Wells, who is currently on tour promoting her new album: Love and Mischief. Jazz at LACMA features a wide range of compositions and musicians, leaving something for everyone. From classic styles to jazz mixed with touches of hip-hop, this series has it all.

However, don’t get too excited, and don’t forget to bring your blankets and picnic basket because this event is also an opportunity for community members to have a fun outdoor picnic experience and just relax. Since the night is free, you can bring your family along or even go alone and let loose. The event, which starts at 6 p.m., typically lasts about two hours, after (or before) which you can grab a bite at one of the numerous dining options nearby, including food trucks on the curb or even one of LACMA’s restaurants. LACMA has multiple dining options to choose from: you can grab a freshly made salad or artisan sandwich at the LACMA Cafe, snag a latte or cappuccino at the C + M (Coffee + Milk), or go for a gourmet farm-to-table experience at the Ray’s & Stark Bar.

Seats for the event are a first-come-first-serve basis, but don’t let that stop you from dropping by. If you really can’t make it, don’t worry! Jazz at LACMA concerts are broadcasted on KJazz 88.1 FM every Sunday evening from 7 to 9 p.m. The broadcasts even include a special interview with each of the featured performers. Or, if you’re thinking about exploring the museum before the event, you’re in for a treat because LACMA is free to Southern California residents every day after 3 p.m. and free all the time to students under 17 as part of the Arts for NexGen membership; you can sign up for a LACMA membership at the ticket office!

Photo courtesy of LACMA UNFRAMED