Group Projects: Yay or Nay?

Josie Chen, Staff Writer

It’s no mystery that group projects can be a tricky thing to deal with. While on the other hand, individual projects can be just as difficult to accomplish. Fortunately, the students of AHS have the opportunity to experience both types of work, allowing them to grasp the skills of group and individual projects.

There are a multitude of positive and negative features for group projects. To begin with, group projects allow you to have someone to rely on, making the project much more manageable and less stressful. Not only can you ask for help on concepts that you do not understand, you can also ask for their advice on other aspects of the project, such as how to organize a visuals or format a piece of writing. In addition, being able to work with other people means that there is less work for each person, resulting in a better quality project. You will also be able to develop teamwork skills and learn to communicate with others in your class. Still, group projects can quickly become a tiresome hassle and a problematic assignment when you are paired up with people you may not enjoy working with. Since the project was originally designed to be completed by a group, you will have more work to do by yourself if others do not contribute. It can also be intimidating and awkward to work with people you are unfamiliar with, but these problems can be quickly overcome with a little patience for other group members.

However, individual projects also have their own positive and negative characteristics. First, you are able to be independent and have more room for your own ideas. Therefore, your project will be more uniquely creative and showcase your ideas well. You will also be able to have more freedom with managing your time. When working with a group there is less flexibility, but in an individual project, you can decide when to work on the project depending on your personal schedule. If it was with a group assignment, you and your group would have to pick a specific time and place to work on the project. However, despite all of the benefits of an individual project, it can still be a very challenging assignment to complete. You will be more likely to procrastinate due to your flexible timing, usually resulting in unnecessary stress and anxiety. It may also be more difficult to come up with ideas, and you may even feel insecure about your work without another person to give you their opinion and support you.

In conclusion, although group projects and individual projects both have their personal pros and cons, they are equally important to the development of your academic skills and will enable you to learn valuable lessons.