Pink Flamingos for Breast Cancer

Jeremy Du, Staff Writer

What comes to mind when you hear the phrase “pink flamingos?” A zoo? Cartoon flamingos? Well, for the Glendora High School Field Hockey Team, pink flamingos are a way of raising money to save lives. During this October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the girls on this team have used plastic pink flamingos that they put in people’s yards as a way to fundraise for those unable to receive treatment for breast cancer.

The girls explained that they wanted to help those affected by breast cancer, but did not want to donate to a national organization because they did not know how their money would be spent. Because of this, they decided to keep their work in their local community – more specifically in people’s front yards. In the past, they had bake sales, but have now turned to plastic pink flamingos as a way of carrying out their mission.

During this past month, they have “flocked” specific yards in the San Gabriel Valley at night with their flamingos. When they arrive at the house, they plant the flamingos into the house’s front yard as quickly as possible. On these planted flamingos are signs that tell the homeowner who was “flocked” why the flamingos are in their yard and how to get rid of them. The girls charge $15 to remove the flock from the yard but not move it anywhere else, $20 for removing the flock and sending it to a specific friend’s house, and $30 for removing the flock and promising to never get flocked again.

In addition to raising funds through their neighborhood “flocking”, the girls have also set up a GoFundMe page where anyone can donate to their cause. As of Oct. 22, the team’s GoFundMe page has raised $460, surpassing their $200 goal and it has gained much support from the community, evident through the 132 Facebook shares and numerous praising comments. The money that this Field Hockey Team raises is donated to Hill Imaging Center, located at 130 W. Route 66, Suite 110 in Glendora, California. The center’s phone number is (626) 914-3384. Thus far, they have helped a woman in the area whose insurance did not cover breast cancer screenings. The group was able to provide money for her to get a mammogram, a screening used to help women detect breast cancer. After doing this, she found out she had breast cancer, but was able to remove it from her body and now is a survivor.

When asked their motivations behind this project to help those affected by breast cancer, Glendora High School senior Abby Brockett explained to KTLA that, “It’s really heartfelt to my coaches and their family because they have had family members and friends who have died from [breast cancer] and who were looking for the cure and we are trying to help as much as possible.”

In addition to all of this, the team has worn pink jerseys all month long at their school games and have acquired donations by passing around a plastic pink boot during their games that reads “Give Breast Cancer The Boots.”

Congratulations to the Glendora High School Field Hockey Team for all they have accomplished in fighting breast cancer. To donate to the team’s GoFundMe page, visit www.gofundme.com/25j4n8-breast-cancer-awareness.