Get on the Path to De-Stressing!

Cynthia Lin, Staff Writer

With the coming school year, many students are extremely stressed about homework and grades. However, it is also important to relax every once in awhile to maintain a healthy lifestyle!

The main contributor to stress may be a heavy workload which can have serious physical effects on your body. Work has even been linked to many health issues such as mood, sleep, and appetite problems. Stress can even lead to heart disease, and although doctors do not understand how it directly affects the heart, it may lead to heart disease in other ways. For instance, when stressed, some may turn to binge eating unhealthy ‘junk’ food which increases your risk of heart disease. Stress may also lead to other negative behaviors such as drinking and smoking.

To get on the path of relaxation, remember to stay positive and have an optimistic look on life. Laughter can lower levels of stress hormones and reduce the inflammation in our arteries. Meditation is another easy way to relax and de-stress. Other options include yoga and prayer. Related to yoga, prayer, and meditation are breathing exercises. Taking time out of your day to just breathe can reduce tension and lower stress due to the flow of oxygen throughout your body. Deep breathing allows you to stimulate parasympathetic reactions, calming us down.

Another way to de-stress to help your physical and mental health is to exercise. When exercising, the body produces endorphins which help increase your mood. It can also protect you from heart disease since it lowers blood pressure and helps to maintain a healthy weight.

De-stressing can also be done when you isolate yourself from the stress causing factors. Unplug yourself. Even if it is only for 10 minutes, you can avoid emails, turn off the news, and put your phone down. Simplicity is key as well; listening to music or doing something you enjoy such as painting can give you a healthy break from stress. Classical music has been studied to show the benefits it brings. It gives off a soothing effect which slows your heart rate, lowers blood pressure, and even lowers stress hormone levels.

Another way to relax would be to soak in a warm bath or light some candles. The atmosphere of relaxation and tranquility may help ease tension and stress. Writing may also decrease stress as many people keep a journal or diary to jot down thoughts and rants. When writing, you can gather your thoughts together onto paper and allow yourself to better understand the world around you and yourself.

Following these tips will get you well on the path of de-stressing and help you maintain a healthy physically and mentally! De-stress away!

Graphic by JOCELYN THAO