Advanced Theatre Production: The Giver

Tracy Xia, Staff Writer

Every semester, the AHS Advanced Theatre Program brings a classic story or play to the PAC. In past years, the PAC stage has been graced with beloved plays such as Hairspray or The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. This year, Advanced Theatre will be presenting The Giver from Nov. 16 to 18. The play is based off of Lois Lowry’s novel of the same name, following the story of a boy named Jonas in a dystopian society. The Giver has received honor as a book, winning the Newbery Medal in 1994, and was adapted into a film in 2014.

The play will consist of Advanced Theatre students, as well as some students from the intermediate program. All students auditioned for their roles and the most suitable actors were chosen for the characters. In addition to working hard during class times, the students also have to take time outside of school in order to practice and perfect their play to guarantee a phenomenal theater experience for their audience. Behind the scenes, we have the AHS Stagecraft, who carefully prepare the play’s sets, props, lighting, and other details that enhance the play. All of the participating students are working diligently so they can give their audience an unforgettable play. The program ensures the presentation of a high quality and impressive plays, showcasing the professionalism and talent of Arcadia students.

Released in 1993, The Giver is a Lois Lowry novel that belongs in the series The Giver Quartet. The book incorporates elements of the dystopia and sci-fi genre, and is set in an alternate society. Jonas is a 12-year-old boy who is chosen to be the next Receiver of Memory, causing him to become distant from his friends and family as new rules start to restrict him. The story follows the growth and struggles of Jonas as he learns of truths and start to question the society that he lives in. His revelations shatters the perfect utopian image of the world that he lives in and influences him to do what he thinks is right.

Tickets are being sold now and could sell out really soon, so be sure to purchase tickets and not miss out on what the AHS Theatre Program is offering. The curtains will open on Nov. 16 to 18 at 7:00 p.m. at the PAC. Check out this play with your friends and family!