STEM Night

Ashley Lee, Staff Writer

As seniors are currently delving into the long-dreaded college applications, many are still undecided on their college majors. Fellow Apaches are continuing to explore the best paths for them, involving themselves in internships, volunteer programs, informational sessions, and more. Underclassmen, as well, are exploring new interests in preparation for their senior year.

Fortunately, students had the opportunity to do so on campus. On Oct. 12, AHS hosted its first-ever Science Technology Engineering Math (STEM) Night. It was an engaging and informational night for students to discover if STEM is the path they want to pursue in their coming years. The program entailed professional and college student speakers who spoke about their professions and gave the students an insight on what they do. Speakers included employees from NASA, Caltech, City of Hope, and Fifth Avenue Dental Care. We also welcomed back AHS alumni Calvin Tan, who is currently studying human biology at USC, and Isabell Yang, who is majoring in neuroscience and biology at Caltech. The second half of the program included a Q&A session from both professionals and college students, where the attendees had the opportunity to ask questions and received answers directly from a first handed perspective.

Junior Rachel Yin, an attendee at STEM Night, expressed that the night was a very successful and informational one. She was able to “have a better insight on possible STEM careers [she wants] to pursue in the future.”

Although the STEM field has been increasing greatly in the recent years, there is also a significant increase in liberal arts. While STEM focuses on the sciences and engineering, liberal arts focuses on subjects such as literature, humanities, philosophy, and social sciences. Some jobs with a high demand for liberal arts majors include client service specialists, business development managers, and communication specialists. Both STEM and liberal arts are vital to the success of our society.

Graphic by KOBE YU