Kindness: A Little Goes A Long Way

Michelle Lee, Staff Writer

A loud clatter echoes through the courtyard and heads swivel toward the harsh sound. The contents of a spilled lunch lie pathetically on the floor, and a student frantically kneels down and tries to sweep the spilled food back onto the ruined styrofoam tray with scattered utensils. The tips of the student’s ears burn red as he avoids the sympathetic gazes of those around him. A few moments later, the stares disappear, and everyone goes back to what they were doing. Students continue to hurry to lunch, giving the spilled food wide berth. No one stops to help the student clean the mess.

It is not a strange sight to see these days. We simply don’t have the time to care for others like we did in the past. These days, there is always somewhere else we have to be, something else that we have to do. We are getting caught up more and more in our own lives, to the point where we are turning a blind-eye to one of the most important things in life: being kind to others.

In our fast-paced lives, even something as simple as holding a door open for someone is disregarded. More often than not, when I ask a classmate for help I receive half-hearted advice and comments such as, “Just figure it out,” or “Ask someone else; I’m busy.” What’s even more disheartening is that they are “busy” because they are scrolling through social media and simply don’t have the time of day to help a peer.

The problem is only exacerbated with the introduction of social media and anonymity on the Internet. It is more common than ever to find demeaning comments lining the bottom of someone’s social media post. Instead of putting a stop to these injuring comments, many just let it continue, treating them as little more than a joke. Rather than spreading positivity and bringing others up, many are putting others down in order to elevate themselves. It is a mindset that will do more harm than good, but that can be changed by just showing a little kindness.

Kindness is one of the few things that is universally appreciated. Stress and competition often cause us to become absorbed in our personal struggles, so an act of kindness from another, no matter how small, is all the more valued. Simple things like helping someone up when they fall or asking if they are okay can both make someone’s day.

The feeling of satisfaction that comes with being kind to one another is hard to replicate and vice versa. If we want to receive help, we must first help others. If we don’t take the initiative, then others won’t feel a need to help us when we need it. Even in our chaotic lives today, kindness still goes a long way.

Graphic courtesy of JENNY QIU