Senior Column: Clarissa Suryapranata

When I first transferred to Arcadia High School (AHS) in the midst of my sophomore year, I found myself navigating a maze of unfamiliar hallways and trying to blend in with new faces. As a person who grew up outside of the U.S., the thought of going to high school here felt out of reach. Although I’m here now, about to close this chapter of my life and embark on a new one, I can’t help but gaze back to the simpler times of my elementary and middle school years, reflecting on how quickly time has flown to bring me to where I stand today. 

I couldn’t have asked for better high school memories than the ones I’ve created here at AHS. If someone were to ask me what my favorites of those memories were, instead of saying the usual big events like prom and football games, I would say studying together with friends. I’ve come to enjoy simple moments shared between people I see every day so as to cherish the sweetness of life’s small joys. To me, the routine little things that I do at school are what I’ll miss most: walking to class, joining friends at lunch, and hanging out after school. The uncertainty of what lies ahead in my life motivates me to create unique bonds with people I currently encounter daily, making sure that each interaction leaves a memorable impression that is worth remembering.

Looking back from my earlier school years, I’ve never been a fan of new beginnings. Transitioning from elementary to middle school, middle to high school, and now high school to college seems all so daunting. Each new chapter brings its own set of challenges and uncertainties. But what I’ve learned from going through it multiple times is that within these transitions lies an opportunity for growth and self-discovery. It provides me a chance to redefine myself, explore new interests, and move forward towards reaching my potential. 

I believe that the most valuable lesson I learned from my years at AHS is the importance of forging your own path. Rather than engaging in constant competition with others, I’ve come to understand that authenticity and self-direction are the true keys to success. Being involved with this school and its students in my own way has made my experience here truly worthwhile. 

Stepping out of our warm little nests and being on our own for the first time feels like a leap into the unknown. Suddenly, we’re responsible for making our own decisions, managing our time, and navigating new experiences. But amidst all the unpredictability, there’s a sense of freedom and possibility that comes with carving out our own path. I hope to one day reunite with friends and teachers I’ve encountered all throughout my life because they have been a significant part of shaping me into the person I am today.