Apache Badminton Celebrates A Senior Night To Remember

Ellie Wu
Graduating seniors in alphabetical order: Angelina Chai, Amanda Chang, Kaylee Chang, Nolan Chin, Zachary Chung, Leanne Cong, Charlene Lau, Ricky Lee, Leo Lin, Astin Lu, Ellie Huang, Anushka Rajendra, William Tong, Gavin Xi, Caleb Xu, Matthew Yu.

As the school year draws to a close and seniors prepare to embark on the next chapter of their life, Apache Badminton took a moment to honor 16 exceptional seniors in a heartwarming Senior Night celebration on Apr. 19. Their achievements, both on and off the court, were celebrated, filling the air with laughter, tears, and cherished memories. The completion of a crucial milestone was signified as teammates, family, and friends gathered, celebrating the impact these seniors have left on the team and community alike.

In preparation for the occasion, team members poured their efforts into creating a memorable experience. The North Gym was transformed with colorful balloons, heartfelt posters, and a special balloon archway entrance, setting the stage for a celebration to remember. Personalized gift baskets carefully lined with snacks, cards, and plushies awaited each senior as tokens of appreciation for their dedication and leadership.

“Our head coach, Coach Mike Stiles, put me and my partner, Lea, in charge of senior night. Initially, the planning process was overwhelming due to the number of seniors graduating. However, everything worked out well in the end,” reflected junior Anya Lai.  

The highlight of the night arrived as each senior’s name was called, followed by cheers and applause from friends and teammates alike. Accompanied by their families, they entered the spotlight, receiving flowers and their special gift baskets. Simultaneously, underclassmen utilized this time to express their gratitude with heartfelt speeches, sharing cherished memories and experiences with their departing teammates.

“This senior night was truly the best one that has ever happened. I was already excited before it happened since I knew Lea [Wang] and Anya [Lai] would make the best senior night for us,” said senior Amanda Chang. “I felt incredibly touched as my speech was read… it was really sweet to have someone talk about all the good things that they have discovered about and appreciate about me.”

“My most memorable experience from Senior Night was walking through the door and receiving the speech from [sophomore] Jessica [Wang]. The atmosphere felt incredibly uplifting, and I don’t think I can ask for a more supportive team,” reflected Varsity Badminton Team Captain and senior Kaylee Chang. 

The celebration extended beyond teammates, as friends of the seniors gathered to show their support and fill the atmosphere with warmth. Together, coaches, parents, friends, and teammates gathered to celebrate the achievements and contributions of these remarkable individuals and cultivate the supportive badminton community that exists today. 

“The atmosphere was definitely bittersweet. I could feel the seniors’ energy and excitement for senior night, but also their feeling of sadness since it was also their last home game,” commented Lai. “It was also very sweet to see the cute messages that friends and teammates wrote to all the seniors on their posters.”

As laughter and tears filled the air, there was a palpable sense of energy and determination as the team geared up to face Cerritos High School following the celebration. Fueled by support, Apache Badminton delivered an outstanding performance, securing a 19-2 victory and maintaining their undefeated record.

“Throughout the years, I loved every minute of being on the Badminton team. [The members of the team] are like a second family to me, and I’m so appreciative of all the memories that we’ve created together,” said Kaylee Chang. 

In the end, the senior night was more than just recognizing achievements on the court; it was about recognizing the individuals who have made a lasting impact on the team, shaping its reputation and inspiring future generations. As the evening drew to a close, there was a bittersweet acknowledgment that while their time as high school athletes may be ending, the memories and friendships created along the way will be treasured and serve as motivation to guide them in their future endeavors. 

“Overall, my experience of being on the Badminton team was nothing short of amazing. I love the bond that we’ve created, and being able to go on trips and have bonding events really makes it feel like we’re a family,” reflected Amanda Chang. 

To the 16 seniors of Apache Badminton, thank you so much for everything you have done, and best of luck!