Arcadia Swim Wins Against Crescenta Valley

Arcadia High School’s (AHS) Swim team gathered for their last home meet of the season on the sunny day of Apr. 17. Both nervousness and excitement were high as the team prepared for its competition against Crescenta Valley High School (CVHS). The meet ended in favor of the AHS teams: Girls JV Swim had a score of 103-51, Boys JV Swim lost 61.5-92.5, Girls Varsity Swim won 101-59, and Boys Varsity Swim finished with 88-82.

“Because Crescenta Valley is our longstanding rival, [the meet is] always so exciting, so hyped, [and] just a really fun atmosphere in general,” said senior Patience Choi, a member of Girls Varsity Swim. She competed in the 200 Medley Relay, the 200 Freestyle, the 200 Freestyle Relay, and the 400 Freestyle.

When asked how she felt going into the meet, junior Sophie Choi, a member of Girls JV Swim, explained her nervousness.

“I wasn’t expecting to win at all, not because our team isn’t good, but because CV is fierce every year and brings their best to every meet,” she said. After doing well in the 200 Medley Relay, 100 Individual Medley, 100 Freestyle, and 400 Freestyle Relay and watching her team secure 1st place in many races, Choi gained more confidence in the possibility of winning.

“We have strong swimmers … who have experience with giving it their all during these meets,” said junior Sophia Xu, the Girls Varsity Swim team Co-Captain. She competed in 200 Freestyle, 100 Butterfly, 200 Freestyle Relay and 400 Freestyle Relay.

“I was so proud of us for extending our lead starting from the very beginning,” Xu added.

Junior Sameeka Patil, the other Girls Varsity Swim team Co-Captain, also expressed that she was “confident going into our meet” after working hard with her team and lowering their average times.

On the other hand, Junior De’ Andre Paiz, one of the Boys Varsity Swim team Co-Captains, shared his pressure to perform well for the sake of his team during his 200 Medley Relay, 200 Individual Medley, 100 Breaststroke, and 400 Freestyle Relay.

“After [the meet], I felt just a wave of relief because we had barely won the last relay, securing us the win over Crescenta Valley,” he said. Paiz referred to the last relay of the meet when the Boys Varsity Swim took 1st place, only 0.02 seconds ahead of CVHS. During the last stretch of this race, screams of encouragement had risen among both teams.

“Especially with the relays, we get to [know] our teammates well. We all cheer for each other,” said freshman Yimo Yuan, a member of Girls Varsity Swim. She swam the 200 Freestyle, 500 Freestyle, 200 Freestyle Relay, and 400 Freestyle Relay. 

Yuan added, “[During a meet,] it’s the time when you really feel pressured to actually go your fastest.”

Before competing, the Swim team trains extremely hard during practices before and after school. From going “race pace” to swimming long distance, each practice helps the swimmers to lower their racing time and build endurance.

“Our practices are very organized, so it’s easy to follow. Our coaches make sure to add fun sets to the practice to keep all of us engaged but still focusing on getting faster,” said Patil.

Not only was this swim meet a success for AHS, it was also Senior Night. Among the 13 graduating seniors, Girls Varsity Swim member Jolene Shen, who competed in the 100 Backstroke, 100 Freestyle, 200 Medley Relay, and 400 Freestyle Relay, reflected on her time in swim.

“My past three years on this team have flown by, and the Senior Night felt bittersweet. Being on the team can feel like a family since there are people who support and encourage you to work towards the common goal,” said Shen.

Competing against CVHS brought another challenge and victory to the AHS Swim team.

“Swimming for me has been a life-long experience, hobby, and love. There are always ups and downs, but this sport keeps me excited for each new day, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world,” said Xu.

Even though this meet was the last home game of the season, Varsity and JV Swim will soon be competing in the League Finals. Good luck, Apaches!

Photo Courtesy of Arcadia DCI Intern Avani Athavale