Varsity Boys Volleyball Battles Against Crescenta Valley

Myriam Kabani
Senior libero Kevin Nakaishi stares down the competition

In an intense match, the Arcadia High School (AHS) Boys Varsity Volleyball team faced off against Crescenta Valley High School (CVHS) for the Pacific League title. After an exciting game that kept the spectators at the edge of their seats, AHS ultimately claimed a 3-1 victory and the title on Apr. 16. 

In the first set, AHS focused on strong and strategic serving to secure their lead. After a series of powerful serves, AHS was able to end the set with a score of 25-13. In their second set, the Apaches continued following the same strategy, but added in a series of tricky plays. Throughout this set, CVHS focused on a stronger defense, but the Apaches ended up winning 25-21. The third set was definitely one for the history books, with the teams staying neck-in-neck towards the end. In a rally that drove up the audience’s enthusiasm, both teams fought hard for a third set score of 28-30. The game continued for a final set with a score of 25-23, in which AHS focused on its blocking and strategic hits to secure their points. 

Currently, the team’s season record is 29-3.This outstanding season record took a large amount of time and effort to achieve. 

Head Coach Kurt Mulder says the team practiced “six days a week, two and a half hours a day.” 

This extensive practice has created a bond between the teammates, one that can only be described as complete trust. To Head Coach Mulder, this is the single most important thing for a volleyball team to have. And for the players, it is the highlight of their volleyball experience. 

“I enjoy how positive volleyball is and I love being part of a team,” said senior and Team Captain Kyle Soriano. 

Kyle Soriano was named the game’s MVP. To prepare for this game specifically, Soriano said that he focused on keeping his pregame “as simple as possible” to focus on not “psyching [himself] out,” saying he played it “as any other match.” This game marked a specific milestone for Soriano, since he celebrated reaching his career high of 24 kills in four sets. 

The team’s next game will be on Apr. 25 against Hillcrest High School for a preliminary CIF game. Given the team’s outstanding performance season-round, as well as their dedication that they put into practice, the game is certainly going to be one for the books. Congratulations on your win, Apaches, and keep up the good work!

Photo by Myriam Kabani