Arcadia Badminton Plays Against South Pasadena

In a thrilling game, the Arcadia High School (AHS) JV and Varsity Badminton team played against South Pasadena on Apr. 15 in the North Gym. The gym was filled with an enthusiastic audience cheering for their respective teams. The match included mixed games, doubles, and singles, with eight courts in play—four for Varsity, and four for JV. Both teams showed strong determination and resilience, facing each other with unwavering effort.

Freshman Clara Tseng, teamed up with her partner, freshman Sydney Chau, in the doubles match. Together, they showcased their skills and coordination on the court. Tseng and Chau’s performance secured them their victory with a score of 21-2 and 21-4 in their first match. They continued to showcase their abilities by securing a decisive victory with scores of 21-6, 21-7 in their second match.

“Our match with South Pasadena was such a fun experience,” said Tseng. “We won both of our matches by a landslide. AHS also did really well overall.”

Arcadia dominated most of the games, but there were definitely some challenging moments. Players from South Pasadena put up a great defense, but despite facing these challenges, AHS’ Badminton team didn’t back down and continued facing each obstacle head-on. 

Junior Esther Xuan also played in doubles with her freshman teammate Athena Liu. In their match, they scored 21-7, 21-15. Despite facing a slight challenge in the second game, their determination enabled them to persevere and ultimately win the game.
“It was a fun experience, I was able to cheer for my friends and my teammates were also really supportive,” said Xuan. “I feel like I really gave it my best, but there’s definitely room for improvement, and I’ll be working hard in training to become better. Overall, it was a great performance by all my teammates too, especially [Tseng and Chau], and I look forward to winning more.”

“I’m proud to be playing with my teammates in Arcadia, and I’m really grateful to be able to have this experience,” said Xuan. “Today’s game was a reminder of the hard work and hours of practice we’ve put in. We always give it our all no matter what.”

“Our next match is with Alhambra,” added Xuan. “I’m excited to play against them and see how much we’ve improved since our match with South Pasadena. I’m sure we’ll be able to win again too.”

Looking forward to their upcoming competitions, the Apaches continue focusing on refining their skills. Next up, AHS’ Badminton team will be facing off against Alhambra on Apr. 25.

Photo by Rachelle Witarno