Swim Takes the Victory Over Burbank

The Arcadia High School (AHS) Swim team dove into their competitive season with a splash, winning against Burbank High School (BHS) on Wednesday, Mar. 13 with a final score of Girls JV, 126-20; Boys JV, 121-26; Girls Varsity, 133-35; Boys Varsity, 135-31. 

The meet began with the 200 yard medley relay. Arcadia started off strong, securing wins from all four teams. 

Following the 200 yard medley relay were individual races that included the 200 yard freestyle along with the 100 yard individual medley and the 50 yard freestyle. Right after those three races were the 100 yard freestyle, as well as the 50 yard butterfly from the JV teams and 100 yard butterfly from the Varsity teams. After that, the Varsity teams competed in the 500 yard freestyle. AHS, yet again, managed to take the win from all four teams in all of the events listed above.

“My swim meet against Burbank was cold, but we pushed through and won, getting a four way win,” expressed sophomore Connor Liu, a swimmer on the Boys JV team. “I had fun competing and cheering on my friends, and while I did not make a personal record (PR), knowing that gives me motivation to work harder and do better in future meets to come.”

Continuing the meet was the 200 yard freestyle relay, followed by the 50 yard backstroke and breaststroke competed by the JV teams and the 100 yard backstroke and breaststroke competed by the Varsity teams. 

Sophomore Ethan Hung, who competed in the Boys Varsity 200 yard freestyle relay, stated that “The meet was super fun. Even if you didn’t PR, it’s always a great time cheering on your friends, chatting in between events, and snacking in between events as well. I personally didn’t PR, but my coach gave me some tips on my technique that I can improve, which hopefully can get my times faster and even a new PR. Overall, the Burbank meet was fantastic.”

The meet ended with a final clean sweep win from all four teams from the 400 yard freestyle relay.

“The meet went pretty well, as all four groups swept. We have won all three of the league meets so far, with this [meet] being the third, so we are looking forward to the rest of the season,” shared junior Jodie Tran, a swimmer on the Girls Varsity team. “We are hoping to make this year our third year in a row of winning Pacific League Champs.”

The team definitely showed off their skills at the swim meet, and from the astounding results, it’s evident that they’re constantly pushing themselves to do better each meet. Keep it up, Apaches!

Photo courtesy of Arcadia DCI Intern Avani Avanthale