Arcadia Swim Dives Into Competition With Burbank

The Arcadia High School (AHS) Swim team kicked off their third Pacific League swim meet of the season against Burbank High School (BHS) on Mar. 13. The games ended with a clean sweep for all four AHS teams: Girls JV Swim with a score of 126-20, Boys JV Swim with a score of 121-26, Girls Varsity Swim winning 133-35, and Boys Varsity Swim beating BHS 135-31.

The meet began at 3:30 p.m., with both schools exerting their fullest effort in each event. On top of AHS providing quick start times, AHS swimmers actively cheered on their friends and teammates and displayed sportsmanship throughout the meet.

Sophomore Minna Tan, Girls Varsity Swim member, competed in the 50 Freestyle, 100 Butterfly, 4×50 Freestyle Relay (200 Freestyle Relay), and the 4×100 Freestyle Relay (400 Freestyle Relay). 

Tan looked back at the meet, saying that “everyone on the team was in really good spirits. I feel like having nice weather for us to compete in definitely boosted our morale.”

Tan recalled the previous few meets, where pouring rain was a recurring theme. She mentions how weather can sometimes affect performance, as it makes it harder for swimmers to reach their quickest speed possible. But despite these setbacks, members of the team have grown accustomed to rocky weather. 

“Each team performed pretty well, which was made obvious by our results,” Tan added. “ The meet went really well for me and I look forward to the next!”

Junior Jodie Tran, another member of the Girls Varsity Swim team, competed in the 200 Medley Relay, 200 Freestyle Relay, and the 100 Breaststroke.

“We are hoping to make this season our third year in a row of winning Pacific League Championships!” Tran stated. “When we win all Pacific League meets during the season and come out on top in the Pacific League Finals, we will accomplish that goal.”

Tran reflected on the meet very positively, expressing “The meet went pretty well, as all four teams swept BHS. So far, we have won all three of the league meets with this being the third. We are all really optimistic about our results and are looking forward to the rest of the season. It’s nice knowing that our hard work is paying off!”

The meet against BHS served as a great continuation of their season, with all teams in the AHS Swim program securing victory against BHS.

Photo courtesy of Arcadia DCI intern Vania Ahmadi