Arcadia High School Varsity Boys Baseball Triumphs at Angels Stadium

In a remarkable convergence of passion and opportunity, the Arcadia High School (AHS) Boys Varsity Baseball team etched their names in history with a resounding victory at Angel Stadium Facing off against Damien High School (DHS) on Mar. 7. In a gripping consolation game, AHS ended on top with a commendable 3-1 win. This once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, made possible by a voucher-selling initiative offered by the Angels, allowed the AHS squad to showcase their talent on the grand stage of a major league stadium.

The clash was a hard-fought game for both sides and a testament to the dedication and skill of both the AHS and DHS players.

The game commenced as freshman Jordan Vogel, a big part of the AHS lineup, set the tone with a decisive run. Following Vogel’s lead, senior and University of San Diego commit, Fernando Palencia, the standout shortstop and right-handed pitcher, delivered a stellar performance on the batting end, leaving a lasting mark on the game.

In the first inning, senior Gabriel Lopez took to the mound for Arcadia, showcasing his pitching prowess as he held the opposition at bay with precise throws. Despite the pressure, no runs or hits were conceded, setting a solid foundation for AHS.

Following a great defensive effort, Lopez continued to dominate on the mound, while DHS stayed persevering and scored on a balk. Nevertheless, AHS maintained their composure, determined to regain control of the game.

In the third inning, AHS rallied back with determination as Palencia drove in a run with a powerful single. Junior Keyonn Chatman further bolstered the team’s lead with another well-executed run, showcasing the offensive prowess that would define the game.

After Palencia’s run, the fourth through sixth innings were defined by Lopez’s masterful control on the mound, stifling any attempts at a comeback from DHS. With impeccable precision and unwavering focus, Lopez kept the opposition at bay, ensuring AHS maintained its lead.

At the coming of the seventh inning, with victory within reach, senior pitcher Brett Rizzo took to the mound, striking out one batter while inducing a crucial flyout. Junior Gus Cooper then stepped up to seal the deal with a decisive strikeout, securing a resounding victory for AHS.

In the words of junior first baseman Leonardo Peniche, “I thought it was a surreal experience and one that will stay with me being able to play in a major league stadium. We all wish to play there but to actually be able to is just a different feeling.”

Palencia, reflected on the significance of the game, stating, “This game really showed how far we’ve come in such a short amount of time from not being able to really figure out our hitting situation to being the better team offensively against very good pitching. Just super excited about where we’ll be in a couple of weeks as we keep being consistent.”

The excitement of the occasion was palpable as AHS capitalized on their opportunity to shine. With each inning, the team showcased their resilience and determination.

In addition to their on-field prowess, the AHS team expressed gratitude for the chance to play at Angel Stadium, a dream come true for many young athletes. The voucher-selling initiative provided by the Angels not only offered a unique opportunity for high school players but also fostered a sense of camaraderie and community within the baseball community.

As the final inning unfolded, Rizzo and Cooper took the mound, determined to secure victory for AHS. With a strikeout from Rizzo and a decisive finish from Cooper, Arcadia clinched a resounding victory, igniting jubilant celebrations amongst players and fans alike.

Amidst the thrill of victory, Lopez’s stellar performance stood as a beacon of excellence, anchoring AHS’ defense and paving the way for their triumph. His unwavering determination and skill ensured that Damien High School had no opportunity to turn the tide in their favor.

As the cheers reverberated in the hallowed halls of Angel Stadium, the AHS Varsity Boys Baseball emerged victorious, a testament to their perseverance and teamwork. With their sights set on future triumphs, the AHS squad continues to inspire with their unwavering passion for the game. Go Arcadia!

Photo courtesy of Arcadia DCI interns Jodie Tran, Joya Sarkar, Rachel Saw, and Stephanie Jing