The Best Spotify Crime Podcasts to Tune Into

“With the incredible number of podcasts available, it may feel overwhelming trying to pick what could be your new favorite listen.”
With the rise of serial killer documentaries and movies, more listeners are warming up to the [true crime] genre every day.
“With the rise of serial killer documentaries and movies, more listeners are warming up to the [true crime] genre every day.”
Caroline Li

True crime podcasts have always been a popular listen. Still, with the rise of serial killer documentaries and movies, more listeners are warming up to the genre every day. With the incredible number of podcasts available, it may feel overwhelming trying to pick what could be your new favorite listen. Luckily for you, I will be covering some of the best crime podcasts on Spotify.

1. Serial: This groundbreaking podcast investigates a different true crime story each season, delving deep into the details and complexities of each case. Serial is a podcast from the creators of This American Life, hosted by Sarah Koenig. Serial has won every major award for broadcasting, including the duPont-Columbia, Scripps Howard, Edward R. Murrow, and the first-ever Peabody awarded to a podcast. This podcast is produced by Serial Productions, who also released S-Town in 2017. 

In season 1, the story revolves around a high school senior named Hae Min Lee, who disappeared one day after school in 1999. A month later, her body was found in a city park. Adnan Syed, her boyfriend, was arrested for the crime, and within a year, he was sentenced to life in prison. Koenig combed through thousands of pages of documents, heard trial testimony and police interviews, and interviewed every person she could think of who remembered what happened in Adnan Syed’s high school room with Lee, only to find out that the trial was hiding something far more complex than the jury or the public ever knew. 

How do you know a person? In the first season of Serial, Koenig seeks the answer to this question and more. Are you on the edge of your seat yet? If you are, then Serial might just be your cup of tea!

1. Crime Junkie: This popular true crime podcast is hosted by Ashley Flowers and Brit Prawat. Each episode typically covers a different true crime case, ranging from murders and disappearances to unsolved mysteries and cold cases. 

The hosts provide thorough research and analysis of each case, presenting the facts, evidence, and theories surrounding it. They also offer their own insights and perspectives on the cases, often speculating about possible suspects or motives. 

The podcast is known for its engaging storytelling style, with the hosts delivering the narratives in an eager tone that keeps listeners hooked. They aim to provide listeners with a deeper understanding of the cases and the criminal justice system while also raising awareness about missing people and unsolved crimes. Now, this podcast should definitely have you hooked!

“I couldn’t stop listening! This podcast really reaches people, and it’s really interesting!” freshman Sai Banala shared. 

1. Up and Vanished: This true crime podcast hosted by Payne Lindsey first gained attention with its investigation into the disappearance of Tara Grinstead, a high school teacher and beauty queen from Georgia who vanished without a trace in 2005. 

Throughout the podcast, Lindsey delves into the details of Grinstead’s disappearance, interviewing friends, family members, law enforcement officials, and other individuals connected to the case. He also explores various theories and leads, uncovering new information and shedding light on the circumstances surrounding Tara’s disappearance. 

The podcast’s immersive storytelling and compelling narrative style have captivated audiences, leading to widespread acclaim and numerous awards. This interesting narrative will have you on the edge of your seat!

1. The Generation Why Podcast: This podcast is a popular true crime podcast hosted by Aaron Habel and Justin Evans. In each episode, the hosts discuss a wide range of topics including true crime cases, unsolved mysteries, and conspiracy theories in a conversational and engaging style. 

Sophomore Ashley Leung beamed, “I love listening to true crime podcasts and this one is by far one of my favorites. They are great storytellers and every episode is intriguing.”

Aaron and Justin delve deep into each topic, offering their insights, analysis, and opinions on the cases and mysteries they explore. They cover a diverse array of subjects, from notorious criminal cases to lesser-known mysteries, providing listeners with thought-provoking discussions and in-depth examinations of each topic. The hosts have a natural conversation and banter that makes listeners feel like they’re part of the conversation. They often present multiple perspectives on the cases they discuss, encouraging critical thinking and fostering dialogue among their audience.

True crime podcasts have long been a favored choice for listeners and are enjoyed by many. Even if true crime might not be your cup of tea, there are many mysteries and attributes of storytelling included in these podcasts. Given the vast array of podcasts to choose from, this article has narrowed it down to just a few. Hopefully, you’ll find your next great listen right here in this list!