Bridging Musical Age Gaps at the Side-By-Side Concert

On a sunny Saturday morning, eager parents and family members lined up outside Arcadia High School’s (AHS) Performing Arts Center (PAC) for the annual Side-by-Side concert that took place on Feb. 10. This event featured a collaborative performance showcasing the talents of some of the finest musicians from both AHS’ band and orchestra and the combined elementary school band and orchestra of the Arcadia Unified School District (AUSD). 

This concert was a unique opportunity for many participants, as this event marked their first performance at the PAC. This program serves as more than just a musical showcase; it provides a valuable opportunity for students to envision what their musical journey would be like as they transition into high school. 

When questioned about whether she has observed her students’ growth through this experience, Mrs. Mary Azoses, an elementary music teacher, remarked, “Yes, definitely. [The elementary students] get to experience what it’s like to play as a part of a high school group, and it serves as something they can work towards.”

Mrs. Azoses highlighted the valuable aspect of the program in providing elementary students with a glimpse into the collaborative and higher-level musical environment of high school, inspiring them to strive for such achievements in the future. Furthermore, she extends her gratitude to the AUSD Performing Arts Department for organizing and hosting this event.

“Just getting this experience on the big stage like the stars they are,” stated Azoses when asked about what she is most excited for her students.

The program was split into four segments: AHS Symphony Orchestra, AHS Wind Ensemble, AHS Elementary Combined Orchestras, AHS and Elementary combined Band. As the high school players were preparing behind the closed curtain, the elementary students were guided into the PAC audience to witness the performance. Upon entering through the double doors, parents and students frantically searched and waved for one another. One could observe the radiant expressions on the students’ faces as they locked eyes with their parents.

The concert began with Ms. Pin Chen, giving a heartfelt welcome speech to the audience, reflecting the essence of the AHS program, elaborating on the performing arts department, and expressing gratitude with a round of applause for all the dedicated students whose efforts made this concert possible. Most importantly, she commented on the reminiscent and genuine aspects of this event. 

“We love seeing our current elementary students get inspired from past elementary students,” stated Ms. Chen during her speech. 

Just like that, the concert commenced, and the PAC uproared in applause and cheers after each song was performed by the high school students. Later in the program, the spotlight shifted to the elementary kids, who bravely took the stage. Fifth graders Avalynn Yang, violin player; and Nora Syed, viola player; from Hugo Reid both voiced their opinions that the most challenging song of the evening was “A Can-Can Festival” composed by Jacques Ofeenbach and arranged by Parrish. 

“We’re very nervous since Can-Can is so hard,” imputed Syed and Yang.  

Junior Assistant Principal for symphony bass player Josiah Chun also gave his perspective on why he agreed Can-Can is the hardest. 

“Out of all the pieces the elementary schoolers are playing, Can-Can has probably the hardest notes to play,” agreed Chun. 

Despite its challenges, this piece emerged as the most formidable of the performance, garnering even greater applause from the audience than other pieces. Besides “A Can-Can Festival”, the other pieces were all a success, showcasing the talents and efforts of all the students and teachers. After last remarks from all the performing arts program teachers, the concert concluded with the last round of applause. The jovial looks on the students and teachers faces deemed many great takeaways. 

“The greatest takeaway was that the future is bright, these kids have all worked really hard and I am just looking forward to seeing them for a couple years at Arcadia,” stated Ms. Chen.  

We hope to see and welcome these fifth graders in years to come!