Boys Varsity Baseball Athlete Feature: Isaiah Spencer Excels

Isaiah Spencer launches the ball from second base!

With spring approaching, the AHS Varsity Boys Baseball team will begin their season. Sophomore Isaiah Spencer, one of the few underclassmen on Varsity, stands out in particular. He has repeatedly demonstrated his expertise and skill throughout his 10 years of playing baseball, continuing to do so as a member of the Boys Varsity Baseball team.

Inspired by his older brother, Spencer was first introduced to the world of baseball at the age of five. He started off in T-Ball, and eventually made his way to the competitive environment of high school baseball.

“I grew up playing with my brother Casey. He always pushed me to be better and is largely responsible for where I am today,” said Spencer.

As the team prepares for their upcoming season, Spencer has set high expectations for his year. He has focused most of his time towards the sport, with an intense practice and workout schedule. Practices take place usually five to six days a week, in addition to the team’s months of workouts in preparation for the season.

“This season, I hope to improve my game by practicing more offensively, having a better mental approach, and becoming stronger,” Spencer said.

As for the team, they hope to “win Pacific League Championships again and go as far as we can in CIF.” 

Spencer holds a vital position in the team, covering second base and the middle infield. His job is to retrieve ground balls and throw opposing players out. As Spencer continues to work towards his expectations for the season, he established his long-term goals for his baseball career.

“I have always wanted to play baseball at the collegiate level. Ideally, I would play Division One Baseball at California State University Long Beach and play professionally,” stated Spencer.

It is clear Spencer has been making progress towards this goal, having excelled as one of three freshmen on Varsity during the 2022-2023 season. Through being continuously challenged, he learned a lot from veteran players while having fun with the team. Spencer improved immensely, gaining experience, feedback, and by playing at a rigorous level.

In addition to his hard work, it is no surprise that baseball has consumed much of Spencer’s time. However, he finds balance by hanging out with friends, family, and working out. 

“My friends and family make up a large part of my support system. My parents always wish for me to do the best I can, and push me to improve,” Spencer said.

As a message for aspiring baseball players, Spencer reminds us that there is lots of failure in sports, especially baseball.

“You can’t get too high on your highs, and can’t get too low on your lows. Baseball is about balance, and it’s important to have a good mindset when playing. Losing a game should be motivation to keep working hard, not something to be discouraged over,” he said.

There is no doubt that Spencer is a talented player with an abundance of commitment towards his sport. We wish him the best of luck with this season and his future endeavors in baseball!

Photo courtesy of Arcadia DCI intern Alaina Lee