Boys Varsity Tennis Wins Against Flintridge

Entering the match against Flintridge Preparatory School, the Arcadia High School (AHS) Boys Varsity Tennis team had a 1-1 win-loss record overall and were determined to change that. They went on to win the game 12-6. 

The games began as usual for all of the teams, with the traditional racquet spin. Depending on who won the spin, determined who would begin the match. Regardless of who began the match, both teams came fully equipped to deal with whatever the other teams had in store. 

According to sophomore Matthew Chen the Apaches’ strategy going into the game was, “to try and win all of our doubles matches and to make sure we won at least nine out of the 18 matches.” This was because Flintridge is well known for having an extremely strong singles team.

Throughout the course of each match in the doubles, it became increasingly obvious that Arcadia would win the match–as for many of the games, they slowly but surely, began to rack up lots of loves which eventually led to points.

Furthermore, as the doubles began to reach completion, it appeared that the competition was just beginning for the singles players just on the other set of tennis courts. With each step and hit of the ball however, the Apaches came out victorious and eventually, winning the game 12-6. 

While the Apaches did win this match, there is still a long way to go. When asking how Chen believed he could improve, he stated, “I could definitely improve on my patience as sometimes I want to finish the point off too quickly and rush myself; often, ending up missing. I also think that I should work on my volleys as there were some easy shots that I shouldn’t have missed. 

Moreover, when asking Chen what he believed led the Apaches to success, he stated, “The visitors in the stands definitely helped some of our players as it was nice having some home advantage. Also having an amazing coach to make a great lineup against Flintridge also helped us win against them.” 

When asked what were some highlights throughout the match, junior Samuel Li stated, “the highlight of the match was seeing my teammates thrive.” 

All in all, this was a successful match for the AHS Boys Varsity Tennis Team and was a great utilization of home court advantage. Congratulations to the Varsity Tennis Team and good luck in the rest of the season! 

Photo courtesy of Arcadia DCI intern Jayeesha Deb