ODC Summer Camp

Jasmine Oang, Staff Writer

During the last few weeks of summer, Orchesis Dance Company (ODC), like many other Performing Arts groups, had its very own camp getaway in preparation for the busy year ahead. The annual dance camp, held at the Knotts’ Berry Farm Hotel, was just one of the many things that started off the members’ 2017-2018 school year. There, the group joined about seven other schools for a restless week of non-stop training in various dance styles and techniques. Members not only worked hard, but were able to create unforgettable memories.

As dancers, attention to detail is invaluable to members of ODC; being in the group, dancers have an even greater commitment. Sophomore Rachel Eng described the intense schedule involved with being a member of the renowned ODC: “We trained a lot in technique and we learned three routines in four days.” She emphasized how “technique built the foundation of dance,” as well as how attending dance camp taught her the importance of being “aware and on top of things.” In four short days, the dancers were able to not only improve their technique but also expand upon it.

At the camp, ODC was separated from other schools when rehearsing but also split into smaller groups to focus on certain routines. Sophomore Cassandra Wong elaborated on their daily routine, mentioning that they “danced the whole day.” She recalled how “the only time we stopped dancing was when we ate [and even] after we finished eating, we had to go back to practice and go over the routines.” Arcadia’s ODC is composed of the best dancers, many of whom have been dancing since a very young age, but even so, starting off the day at 6 a.m. and dancing until 5 p.m. would’ve been tiresome.

Despite being located seconds away from the popular Knott’s Berry Farm theme park, it was surprising to learn that this was the first year that ODC was actually allowed to spend time inside the time park. Cassandra and Rachel mentioned how even though they were only given two hours, it was a great way to bond with their fellow “ODC Ohana” as well as an opportunity to meet dancers from other districts. Aside from their time in the park, the girls were able to relax and let loose during bonding activities. According to Cassandra, during their free time, ODC members either took naps to rest up before having to go over routines again or participated in bonding activities with other school teams.

The amount of dedication and effort displayed by the members of ODC is definitely immeasurable, and I wish them the best of luck this year!

Photo courtesy of WORSHIP DANCE MINISTRIES