Polls

What are your Valentine’s Day plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Why Every Teen Needs a LinkedIn

Is LinkedIn a powerful resource for students, or just contributing to an environment with an excessive focus on careers?

Out of 17.3 million high school students in the United States, only about 1.5 million have chosen to create their own LinkedIn accounts. That’s only about 9% of kids in the country that are taking advantage of this easy opportunity. LinkedIn, an app released in 2002, allows users to post professional information about themselves, like work or volunteer experiences, to help connect them to opportunities like jobs or internships. 

However, despite its practically never-ending list of benefits, its adoption by teenagers remains disappointingly low, especially considering the fact that the app is a crucial tool for people of all ages, paving the way for users to delve into the professional world and form meaningful connections. This is especially true for high school students, whose LinkedIn usage can be even more important to help them begin developing skills they will use throughout their careers.

LinkedIn estimates that every minute, a LinkedIn user is hired for a job they’ve applied to, equating to around a staggering 11,500 people per day, with 93% of employers using the site to recruit their applicants. LinkedIn users have been found to have an advantage during job applications, with a resume study finding that “job applicants who included a link to a comprehensive LinkedIn profile on their resumes received a callback rate of 13.5%, which is 71% higher than the 7.9% callback rate of job applicants who didn’t have a LinkedIn profile at all.” For high school students who are attempting to gain work experience, having a LinkedIn account can help increase the likelihood of students getting opportunities, even when they compete against their more experienced counterparts. 

Around “30%” of teenagers aged 16 to 19 are currently employed, demonstrating that various high schoolers are consistently finding opportunities to learn new skills as they expand their work experiences. For teenagers wanting to do the same but not knowing where to start, LinkedIn connects them to those opportunities. LinkedIn’s personalized feeds allow users to automatically be recommended content they will likely find interesting, and their search bar can help users explore opportunities in the area. This, along with the emails LinkedIn sends to users with various job or internship opportunities near them based on users’ interests, makes it easier for high schoolers to find those opportunities that are the most relevant in regards to their skillsets and interests. 

“As we high schoolers approach graduation, we also approach the real world—one that needs a LinkedIn.”

— Myriam Kabani

While some may argue that fourteen to eighteen years old is too young of an age to be concerned about such things or to have a LinkedIn, it is, in reality, the best time to start exploring career-building applications. As we high schoolers approach graduation, we also approach the real world—one that needs a LinkedIn. Starting a profile sooner rather than later is more imperative than ever; it allows us to have as early of an experience as possible in the professional world, and teaches us about forming connections. LinkedIn essentially allows users to research opportunities easier with their search engine, gives users the professional platform they need to market themselves, and allows for people to network with others. Waiting too long to start a profile can prompt you to miss out on countless important opportunities, ones that could change your life. 

On the app, users are also able to list their education, work experience, and professional life updates, allowing them to express their interests and connect with like-minded individuals. Forming connections is easy, as you are recommended people you have commonalities with, like interest or places of education. High schoolers can use these features to their advantage, with many students sending each other “Connection Requests” to form connections with like-minded individuals. Similarly, you can find jobs based on factors like your expertise or goals. LinkedIn also gives users room to learn: you can see life-changing projects others are working and important milestones others are achieving.

I started using LinkedIn earlier this year, and I only wish I had done so sooner. LinkedIn has allowed me to form connections with students from all over the country with people of all different occupations. Using LinkedIn has also allowed me to find meaningful opportunities that I am interested in, like jobs for the future or organizations that I would love to be part of.

Just like high schoolers can benefit from LinkedIn, young adults post-college can also have great benefits. Because they have had additional educational experience, LinkedIn can connect post-college students to what could be their first jobs.

LinkedIn allows you to be, well, linked in to the tools you need to be the best version of yourself on a professional level. For students just heading into the workforce or wanting to enter it, LinkedIn is an essential app. 

Image courtesy of UNSPLASH