Polls

What are your Valentine’s Day plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Savor Marugame Udon’s Authentic Flavors

Udon is a type of thick wheat noodle that originated in Japan and has become a popular dish both in its home country and internationally. These chewy noodles are typically made from wheat flour, water, and salt, creating a robust texture that sets them apart from other types of noodles. Udon noodles are commonly used in a variety of Japanese dishes, such as hot noodle soups, stir fries, and cold salads. 

Marugame Udon, which opened last year at The Shops at Santa Anita, 400 S Baldwin Ave #R02, is a renowned restaurant chain founded by Takaya Awata. The creation of Marugame Udon was inspired by the traditional udon kitchens in the city of Sanuki, Japan. With over 800 locations nationwide and a significant presence in nine countries and regions outside of Japan, Marugame Udon has quickly become a widely loved and recognized brand. 

Marugame Udon delivers an authentic Japanese culinary experience through its unique restaurant setup. Operating as a cafeteria-style fast-casual establishment, the restaurant ensures that each bowl of noodles is crafted right in front of the customer. Upon receiving their made-to-order bowls, customers have the opportunity to enhance their meal with a variety of crispy tempura options and choose from a selection of beverages. The noodles are made fresh daily and use 100% domestic flour, which contributes to the restaurant’s commitment to quality and authenticity.

“The service was fast and I liked how I could choose the tempura,” shared junior Kelly Zhang. 

Marugame Udon presents reasonable prices, starting at $5.95 for a basic bowl of noodles served in dashi broth, a traditional Japanese base. For those seeking a more adventurous flavor, options like curry and spicy chicken udon bring additional flair, while selections such as beef, tomato, tonkotsu (fatty broth), and Nikutama introduce a playful twist to the menu. The Nikutama, featuring a sweet beef broth and a soft-boiled egg, is served in a satisfying portion. Tempura enthusiasts can indulge in pieces like asparagus, sweet potato, shrimp, chicken, and squid, each ranging from $1.95 to $4.75 per piece. These delightful tempura additions can be enjoyed either on the side or integrated into the udon bowl itself.

“My favorite item on the menu is probably the Nikutama; I like the sweetness of the broth,” said freshmen Hayley Luong. “The way the egg was cooked and how it was melted into the rest of the broth made the udon even tastier.” 

If udon noodles aren’t your preference, Marugame Udon also offers three types of rice bowls: Gyudon (sweet beef and black pepper sauce over white rice), Chicken Katsu Curry (curry sauce over white rice topped with Japanese fried chicken), and Chicken Katsu Teriyaki. Additionally, Marugame Udon caters to vegan choices, all plant-based and served with a vegan broth.

“The Chicken Katsu Curry was really good, the chicken was very crispy and the curry tasted great,” said junior Nathan Chang. 

All in all, udon has gained international acclaim for its chewy texture and versatility. Marugame Udon, a renowned restaurant chain, embodies this tradition with authenticity and innovation. Offering made-to-order bowls, customizable toppings, and a diverse menu, the cafeteria-style eatery has quickly become a global culinary sensation. I would definitely recommend Marugame Udon for an easy lunch or dinner option!

Photo by Harini Devaguptapu