Boys Varsity Soccer Battles Against Gabrelino

Sophia Ren

As the Arcadia High School (AHS) Boys Varsity Soccer team kicks off their season, they continue to meet a fair share of fierce opponents. The team played an intense game against Gabrielino High School (GHS) on Dec. 5, resulting in a tie for the Apaches with a score of 1-1.

The team is under the guidance of Coach Christopher Ferrer, and entered the game with an overall record of 3-1. This impressive record stems from hours of practice, instruction, and strategy.

Senior goalkeeper Eric Ren states, “Lately we have been working on improving our passes as a team. We are trying not to lose the ball in our possessions.”

The first half was looking hopeful for the Apaches, with senior striker Jaden Harriman nearly scoring a goal with nine minutes left on the clock before halftime. The Apaches had most of the ball possessions throughout the first half, a pattern which carried to the second half.

After a brief 15 minute break during halftime, the Apaches returned to the field with spirits and energies high. Freshman Michael Fernandez shot the ball, hitting the goal crossbar with 30 minutes left in the second half. 

With around 25 minutes left in the game, senior Harry Hairapetian carried out a penalty kick, unfortunately going too wide and missing the goal. Gabrielino missed a shot soon after, with 21 minutes left in the half.

Things picked up for the Gabrielino Eagles, who scored with 17 minutes left. However, the Apaches turned the game around with senior Brandon Carino tying the game to 1-1. 

Another penalty kick was carried out by senior Zachary Wu, and the game ended with Gabrielino kicking the ball over the goal. As the players and coaches shook hands and debriefed the game, students, parents, and staff members around AHS Salter Stadium applauded.

Defending the Apache’s goal, there were many impressive saves by sophomore goalkeeper Aaron Simon throughout the game. 

Reflecting on the game, Ren said that “as a team, our group has improved a ton. We know that our team has a ton of potential with many talented players and good coaching. Continuing throughout the season, we will continue to work on being more organized and getting the ball up the field and following it through to the goal.”

When asked about the Apaches’ goals for the remainder of the season, Ren mentioned how “the team desires to do better than we did last year. We will spend time combining everyone’s skills together and executing them as a team.”

We are excited to continue to watch the team’s progression as the season goes on, with an already great start. Go Apaches!

Photo by Sophia Ren