No Plans for Winter Break? We’ve got you Covered

Some people may already have a travel itinerary and a detailed to-do list ready for the upcoming winter break, ready to do some winter cleaning or catch a flight for a relaxing vacation. Others? Not so much. If you’re one of the people struggling with deciding how to spend your time during winter break, you’re in luck.

If your schedule is pretty clear, these two weeks are the perfect time for some exploration! Go online and search for something you’ve always wanted to do. It can be something big, like a whale-watching cruise with your family, or something small, like trying a new type of sandwich or a new flavor of candy.

Recently, I’ve been really into boba, and I’m always looking for new tea flavors to try or stores that take a creative spin on your classic bubble tea. One of my favorites so far has been L’moon Creamery in Pasadena, which serves their special Thai tea soft serve, which is Thai tea-flavored ice cream topped with boba pearls. It’s always great to take your taste buds on an adventure and branch out. You might end up loving something you never would have considered in the past. Students at AHS have many favorite cafes and restaurants for refreshments they hold close to their hearts.

“My favorite place to get boba is a spot called Wushiland. I love getting my drinks from there because they are made really fast,” shared junior Rachel Vuong. “The drink I would get is roasted oolong tea with mini boba pearls.”

Others, like sophomore Ellie Ma, prefer coffee and chocolatey warm drinks over boba.

“One of my favorite places to get coffee is CAR Artisan Chocolate. I love it because it’s a comfort place for me- the ambience is just really homey. The cafe makes their own chocolate, which is why my favorite things to get there are the mocha and a chocolate croissant,” Ma said.

If bubble tea isn’t your cup of tea, embracing your hobbies might be the next best idea. Due to school and that recent rush for finals, it’s likely high schoolers haven’t had much free time to spend doing things they enjoy. Take a trip to a library you’ve never been to before if you love reading, or get into a genre you usually don’t read. For those into fashion, try a new style of clothing or a new color- there’s nothing to lose if you end up hating it! If you enjoy photography, there are some incredible scenic routes in California. Relaxing in a car and taking photos of all the pretty distractions can be a great way to spend the day. 

Some people, like freshman Hailee Gonzalez, love animals—especially horses.

“I like horseback riding because you can do obstacle courses as fast as you want. I love spending time with the animals because it makes me feel free.”

— Gonzalez shared

“Usually, I go up to Lancaster by the mountain side.”

If you already spend a lot of time with your current hobbies, you could always try an entirely new activity. You can check out origami websites and try making your first craft, or try keeping a log of your vacation. If you’re that bored, there will be something (or someone) you can vent your frustrations to. 

Naturally, there may be some who don’t want to leave their comfort zones. There are plenty of things to do without having entirely new experiences, including making the most of the time you have with your family. If you feel disconnected from a parent, cousin, or sibling, now is the time to catch up.

“I enjoy going to Big Bear to see the snow with my family. We get to spend time together, and I especially love watching my dog play in the snow,” said sophomore Penelope Chen.And if none of these appeal to you, there are a ton of websites on which you can find things to do when you’re bored! You’ll surely find something made for you and take solace in the perfect way to spend your break. Happy holidays high schoolers!

Photo Courtesy of UNSPLASH