The Importance of Fine Arts

Cindy Tse, Staff Writer

Just like how most people consider themselves stronger in either the “right-brain” or “left-brain”, similarly, people often consider themselves skilled in either the arts or the sciences. However, of the two, the sciences are usually viewed more favorably as it is the sciences that lead to technological breakthroughs, medical advancements, etc. The arts, on the other hand, are generally considered less profitable and therefore, not as essential to education. It is also the reason why when schools cut funding for certain programs, they generally start by eliminating the fine arts classes. There is substantial research that may make schools rethink these policies.

According to the research report, “Champions of Change: The Impact of the Arts on Learning”, the arts can teach students methods of self-education. Education today relies heavily on technology, whether it be looking up facts online or accessing primary resources that might not otherwise be available in person. Similarly, the fine arts require students to learn how to create and think on their own, using classroom resources simply as a baseline. Other studies have noted that the fine arts contribute to a better overall understanding of culture. By studying fine arts, students are exposed to a wide diversity of works from all over the world. Sharing a mutual cultural understanding can also cultivate connections between students.

In the book Arts with the Brain in Mind by Eric Jensen, it is noted that an education in fine arts has a profound effect on the brain, enhancing social skills, awareness, and cognitive capabilities. Further, the arts foster deeper emotional understanding, both within oneself and with others. Jensen claims that as society develops with increasingly advanced technology, a greater worth will be placed on human connections. Therefore, by taking part in the fine arts, students quickly gain useful interpersonal and intrapersonal skills that can be of value in the work force in the future. Finally, the arts provide education where the learning is not based solely on facts, but is also meaningful in the long run, exposing students to a plethora of helpful lessons and philosophies that will influence them later in life.

With the future looking bleak for school budgets, it’s important for us to recognize the importance of becoming familiar with the fine arts. Students should strive to take part in such programs and expand their creativity, worldview, and thinking capacity. Thus, we can work to save a part of our education curriculum that is highly beneficial, yet severely underrated.