Hsieh runs out to the line at Foot Locker Nationals Cross Country Race!

Athlete Feature: Reena Hsieh

A star runner on the Girls Varsity Cross Country team!

There are many student athletes at Arcadia High School (AHS), most of whom have great athletic prowess and potential. One of the best of the best is Varsity Girls Cross Country star, junior Reena Hsieh, whose incredible accomplishments and story deserves to be shared.

Though Hsieh has currently established a reputation as one of the most impressive members of the AHS Varsity Girls Cross Country team—winning 28th place at the Foot Locker Cross Country Nationals—her future in cross country was not always prioritized or even considered.

“I joined cross country my freshman year. I was originally a competitive swimmer, but because I didn’t want to take a PE class, I ended up joining cross country,” Hsieh stated. 

As a matter of fact, her only motivation towards cross country was that her older brother participated in the sport during his time in high school as well. Nevertheless, after joining the sport, Hsieh quickly became dedicated to running.

“It doesn’t matter how fast you are; as long as you’re willing to work hard, you’ll reap the benefits. In my freshman year I was running three miles in around 20 minutes, and I didn’t think I had any sort of future in cross country. However, I trained hard for the next two years and now, at the end of my junior year, I’m running three miles in only around 16 minutes!” said Hsieh.

Hsieh’s mesmerizing growth in her stamina and endurance has reflected through her growing list of achievements.

“I won the XC Pacific League finals in my sophomore and junior years. This year I was also the Pacific League Champion during track season in the 800, 1600, and 3200 meters. Also, at CIF XC finals, I finished 4th, and at state I finished 7th place. Most recently, on Dec. 9 I competed in the Foot Locker Nationals, where I placed 28th,” Hsieh remarked. 

Out of her many accomplishments, Hsieh has one that she is especially proud of. 

“Placing 7th at state was my best race, but my experience at nationals was so much fun. Hoka sponsored the event, so they gave every athlete 5 pairs of shoes and a ton of clothing. I also made a lot of friends there,” Hsieh stated. 

But her superb track record and clothes is not all that Hsieh has gotten out of cross country. 

“Cross country has allowed me to make lifelong friendships, challenge myself both mentally and physically, and travel to different places for races,” reminisced Hsieh.

Hsieh’s story shows just how much a person can do if they set their mind on something, regardless of where they start. Hopefully, she can continue to improve and accomplish even more in her sport. Until then Hsieh recommends that people try cross country, and she looks forward to continuing running next season.