Theatre Student Feature: Nicole Cai

“I want to act because I want to show people what I’m capable of,” said Cai. “That I can present myself as someone strong but also someone vulnerable.”
Cai as a maid in The Odyssey.
Cai as a maid in The Odyssey.
Ronald Lee

Acting is a craft that requires individuals to embody characters with authenticity and emotional depth. It serves as a powerful means of storytelling, allowing actors to breathe life into narratives through their nuanced performances. Whether on stage, screen, or any other medium, acting is an art form that demands a profound exploration of human behavior and an unwavering commitment to the portrayal of diverse and compelling characters.

Junior Nicole Cai is an Advanced Theatre member who started her acting journey in middle school after her interest was sparked by the play The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe which was performed by Arcadia Stage at Cai’s elementary school.

“This show jump-started my interest in theatre,” said Cai. “I did drama in middle school for two years. When I got to high school, I immediately started Beginning Theatre in my freshman year.”

Having been in shows such as Santa Man, The Odyssey, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, and the upcoming play Legally Blonde, Cai enjoys playing a variety of roles.

“My favorite [show] that I’ve been on is The Odyssey,” explained Cai. “One reason I liked this show was because of the variety of characters I played. The Odyssey is an ensemble-based show, so people play many different characters. In the show, I played a muse, sheep, sailor, and maid. This made the show a lot more fun for me.”

Acting might seem simple, but it’s actually quite time-consuming. It involves analyzing scripts, developing characters, and rehearsing extensively. Achieving authenticity and emotional depth requires a significant investment of time and effort, making acting a more intricate process than it might appear at first glance.

“A very important skill that I have learned is time management,” said Cai. “Advanced Theatre is extremely time-consuming because of how many after-school rehearsals we have…I had to learn how to balance school and theatre at the same time.”

In addition to pursuing her passions, Cai has made many friends whom she views as a second family. Her friends in theatre have become a source of emotional support and a place to turn to when facing difficulties. 

One of her favorite memories in theatre is winning 1st place in this fall’s Drama Teachers Association of Southern California (DTASC) competition by playing a role in the small screen The Twilight Zone. 

Being an actor gives me the chance to show different sides of myself. I also really like to entertain people.

— Nicole Cai

“I never imagined that our group would win first place,” expressed Cai. “So actually winning was a super exciting moment. It was exhilarating to be able to perform in front of more than a hundred students and showcase our amazing scene.”

As Cai explains, acting can also serve as a way for one to reveal different aspects of their identity and emotions.

“I want to act because I want to show people what I’m capable of,” said Cai. “That I can present myself as someone strong but also someone vulnerable. Being an actor gives me the chance to show different sides of myself. I also really like to entertain people.”

As the curtain falls, actors and actresses carry not just the lessons of acting but a set of valuable life skills—communication, time management, and a profound sense of belonging. Through the spotlight of the stage, these students illuminate paths to both artistic fulfillment and a deeper understanding of themselves and the world around them.

Photos Courtesy of Ronald Lee and Pia Wolf