Varsity Girls Volleyball Season Recap

Arcadia High School’s (AHS) Girls Varsity Volleyball team has plenty to celebrate after a successful season and an overall record of 24-6.  From winning home games to advancing through CIF, the team is proud to have been a part of the many competitions. 

Senior Meg Green, co-captain of the Varsity Volleyball team, reflected on what she thought were  the most successful games of the season. 

“I would say it was either our Polytech game or our away [Crescenta Valley]game,” Green said. “Our whole team…put all of our effort in and we all reached our full potential during those games to win.” AHS won 3-2 over Polytechnic High School (PHS) and defeated Crescenta Valley High School (CVHS) 3-1. 

“The best game of this season was definitely the Crescenta Valley game at home,” said junior Ashley Savage, the other co-captain of the AHS volleyball team. “We won easily in three sets. This game meant a lot to us because they are our league rivals, and we were both in contention for first place.”

Savage pointed out another high point during the volleyball season. The team had won the Pacific League Championship—with 13 wins and only 1 loss—for the first time in many years. She also stated that some of the most victorious games were a stressfully close call.

“The game against Polytechnic was especially intense because we lost the first two sets but came back from it and won 3-2. If we lost one set, then we would [have lost] the whole game,” she added. 

According to Green, Arcadia’s games against Crescenta Valley are always the most exciting. 

“The atmosphere and the crowd that comes are so into it and it makes our gameplay super nervous because everyone is watching, and I think that makes it the most intense,” she said. 

However, the team didn’t do as great as it’d hoped during some games. Green expressed that there were some games that she and her team could’ve done better at as well. 

She said, “Playing Glendale [and] Burroughs…we didn’t play as well as we should have. [Also, at] our first CIF game, I don’t think we played super great, but we still won … [and] went farther in CIF than we did last year.”

The Varsity Volleyball team participated in the CIF Southern Section, Division 4. They won 3-0 against the Archer School for Girls, but lost 1-3 to Windward High School.

“I feel that we could’ve played harder during the second round of CIF and possibly [gone] further,” said Savage. 

In culmination, though there were occasional dips in the season, the Girls Varsity Volleyball team won the majority of their games and prevailed in the League Championships. Keep up the good work, Apaches!

Photo courtesy of Arcadia DCI intern Myriam Kabani