Polls

What are your Valentine’s Day plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Thank You, Mrs. DeSurra

Emma Chen: Junior year is often hailed as the most demanding year in high school. I was so nervous for my AP English Language and Composition class, as I am not particularly good at the subject. However, Mrs. Cathy DeSurra has allowed me to believe in myself and my writing abilities.

Ellie Gladson-Pang: Though only a relatively small chunk of the school year has passed, I can already feel my worries about English, junior year, and the AP exam fading; with Mrs. DeSurra’s direction, I’ve also started to believe more in what I’m capable of. 

Emma Chen: Under Mrs. DeSurra’s guidance, English has transformed into my favorite class. I admire her dedication to analyzing students’ work, pinpointing recurring errors, and providing constructive feedback for improvement. Her meticulous approach to lesson plans ensures a comprehensive understanding for everyone in the class, as she takes the time to address questions and ensure clarity. It’s amazing how Mrs. DeSurra responds to confusion without making anyone feel like they’ve asked a dumb question. Her teaching style has not only allowed me to find confidence in myself but has also fostered a newfound appreciation for English. 

Ellie Gladson-Pang: She is also incredibly empathetic and kind as a person, as our class has come to appreciate. Always asking our preferences in activities, shaping our lesson schedule to be the most conducive to our mental health and stress management, greeting us with a warm hello at the door—Mrs. DeSurra’s character and personality bleed through in her teaching, to the benefit of all of her students. It’s difficult to imagine how a single teacher can challenge the more confident English students and concurrently reach out to lift up anyone struggling. Her teaching isn’t the least bit pretentious or inaccessible either. I find myself looking forward to an extremely down-to-earth lesson every day, that almost seems tailored to every student.

Emma Chen: Furthermore, what adds to my admiration for Mrs. DeSurra is the ease with which I can approach her for a conversation. Her relatability is truly remarkable, and I appreciate how she effortlessly connects with students. The fact that she injects humor into the classroom, cracking jokes and lightening the mood, creates an enjoyable and inclusive atmosphere. Mrs. DeSurra’s approachability and sense of humor make the English class not just educational but also a genuinely enjoyable experience.

Ellie Gladson-Pang: Overall, she’s a teacher with remarkable openness and empathy, and that affects every single one of her English students more than anyone can imagine. 

Emma Chen: Thank you, Mrs. DeSurra, for allowing me to love English and always being there to help me. I’m so grateful that I have the opportunity to be one of your students. 

Ellie Gladson-Pang: Thank you, Mrs. DeSurra, for teaching one of the best classes I’ve ever had; I’m thankful for every comment on every essay, and for all the work you do to help us.