Polls

What are your Valentine’s Day plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Thank You, Ms. Kuso

SO42-, sulfate.

Among the 29 polyatomic ions we had to memorize, sulfate stands out as one of the special ones. Its chemical formula bears a striking resemblance to S104, the classroom of Ms. Kuso. Her analogy, likening sulfate to ‘soul fate,’ provides a quick way to memorize the ion, and solidifies her class as a space for a lasting destiny. Having Chemistry Honors as the dreaded period 1 is never easy, but Ms. Kuso’s unwavering determination heightens a new sense of comfort. 

The meticulously decorated classroom, scented with various candles each day, resembles Ms. Kuso’s dedication to creating a warm and inviting learning environment for her students. Her passion extends to every part of the classroom, with inspirational quotes adorning the walls to create an environment brimming with motivation. With her diverse array of gifts to students, from self-made lemon tea to aromatic lavenders from her garden, she ensures her classroom is a safe place for students to feel wanted.

She is open-minded and enthusiastic about her subject. Rather than presenting the mundane, text-heavy chemistry equations, Ms. Kuso personalizes her notes by integrating visual elements related to the concepts, using a wide variety of colors to simplify the intricate topics. Acknowledging that chemistry isn’t limited to the periodic table or memorizing equations, Ms. Kuso consistently draws real-life connections between science and our everyday lives: Her analogy between a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and stoichiometry perfectly illustrates the importance of the often concealed chemical equations; her emphasis on the importance of rock salt in ice-cream creation easily clarifies the concept of lowering the freezing point. 

Other than her consistent willingness to ease any confusion in class or during lunch, her efforts to help her students extend far beyond her classroom; she makes her lecture screencast for almost every lesson for those who struggle to keep up with the class pace and devotes extra time to learn her students’ needs. Especially when faced with the difficult task of pushing her students to try their best while remaining understanding of their struggles, she maintains an encouraging attitude that enhances many students’ desire to fight through their struggles and continue to view learning in a positive light.

Despite the massive numbers of labs and tests she grades on the daily, Ms. Kuso puts her students before herself. Her door is always open, sacrificing her own time to help her current and previous students—not only with academics but with their personal struggles as well. She wields the power to connect with each and everyone and uses this power to get to know each of her student’s hopes, dreams, and fears. From the very beginning of the school year till the end, she emphasizes the importance of a growth mindset as opposed to a fixed mindset. She rallies her students to think positively like a cation and often organizes different activities to help them distress in response to the demanding pressure.

She is one of the remarkable teachers who implemented Wellness Week activities in the classroom, providing time for self-check-ins and meditation. To many students, this small act of kindness made their day. Even after each of these activities, she would always take time to gather student reflections to improve the activity for next time.

Regardless of grades and opinions on the subject of chemistry itself, everyone has something meaningful to take away from Ms. Kuso’s class. Her daily group warm-ups create unbreakable bonds between her students, pushing them out of their comfort zones and teaching them to communicate comfortably with strangers. This positive attitude towards the community allows for an environment where everyone knows and interacts with each other.

Though Ms. Kuso’s class taught me a lot about chemistry, it, more importantly, taught me about learning to learn. Ms. Kuso is the first teacher who truly believed I would successfully push through all my internal conflicts and become a great educator in the future. Thank you, Ms. Kuso.