Polls

What are your Valentine’s Day plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Orchesis Student Feature: Mia Tsou

“There is no defined right or wrong in how you move. Your individualized, unique movement is what makes dancing so unique…never failing to put one’s best foot forward and embracing every moment regardless if it is a struggle or achievement will progress your journey.”
Ellie Kwan

The Orchesis Dance Company (ODC) has stunned us with breathtaking performances for over 40 years. Amongst the many members, senior Mia Tsou is enjoying her last year dancing with ODC as their president. She has been a dancer since the young age of three and favors contemporary and jazz dance styles.

Tsou has been in ODC for three of her high school years. As a sophomore, she served as the Public Relations Officer during her first year in the dance company.

“I was the first sophomore to ever hold an officer position and had to adjust to being a part of the team at the same time,” Tsou said. She added that she, as an “innately introverted individual,” was initially nervous and intimidated by the other talented dancers, “and I wasn’t sure if I could uphold that standard and level of excellence.”

As the ODC president, she is the main leader, role model, and support for her fellow dancers. She is the link between the directors and company members, making sure all opinions are heard.

“I represent the integrity and diligence of our company to the public and set the standard for our dancers,” Tsou said. “I am not only responsible for encouraging better dancing technique and performance quality, but [also] raising new leaders with confidence and strength in their voices.”

Tsou explains that when she is dancing, she feels delighted and empowered. To her, dancing is a form of non-verbal expression, a way to share her message with the enraptured audience. She said, “Dance has provided me an outlet to express myself when words cannot suffice all that I am feeling and it feels as though no one but myself can truly understand my emotions. [I love] how I can provide the same relief and security [that] dance [has given] me to my audience.”

“I have had the privilege of serving as the Public Relations Officer and Vice President previously and choreographed over 15 dances thus far. I hope to continue choreographing beyond what is seen on social media or the typical moves one may see on stage,” Tsou said. She added that she wishes to dance “beyond my expectations…to inspire the Orchesis girls and audience members [and show] that one can accomplish anything they put their dedication into.”

Mrs. Breanne Orlowsky, ODC’s lead director, notes Tsou’s growth as a dancer and choreographer throughout her years in Orchesis.

“She has learned to find her voice as a leader and to always advocate for her company members and program…Mia has become an even more confident and passionate individual, always eager to push herself past her limits,” she stated.

Mrs. Orlowsky expresses how proud and appreciative she is of Tsou’s contributions. Tsou’s dedication to ODC shows through brilliant choreography pieces, supportiveness of her peers, and passion in her dancing technique.

“When she is dancing, you can see her passion and love for this art form every time she performs.” Mrs. Orlowsky added. “She is extremely hardworking and dedicated fully to whatever she is involved in.”

Tsou has proven to have a large impact on AHS. Not only is she a part of ODC, Tsou is the Publicity Commissioner for Seniors of Merit at Work. She is also part of the National Honor Society (NHS) and the School Site Leadership Team. Tsou also enjoys volunteering and giving back to the community. She especially wants to spend time with younger students and be a figure that they look up to.

“It’s really important to me to go back to the elementary schools and see all of the younger kids—who have so much passion, so much pursuit, and so much potential—and help raise them and cultivate a good environment,” Tsou said.

When asked about her plans for the future, Tsou explained that she plans on her career to be based in the medical field. However, “I hope to continue dancing with a collegiate team or adult team and take classes once [I graduate] high school and [choreograph] dances as a side job.”

Finally, Tsou would like to share a few words of encouragement for aspiring dancers.

“There is no defined right or wrong in how you move. Your individualized, unique movement is what makes dancing so unique…never failing to put one’s best foot forward and embracing every moment regardless if it is a struggle or achievement will progress your journey.” She added, “Never remain stagnant and push beyond what you think you can do. You will surprise yourself.”

Tsou began her ODC years as a shy figure, but as she pushed her limit and the limits of those around her, she grew into her potential as a dancer and choreographer. She’ll never forget all that being in ODC has taught her and will continue to carry that knowledge into her future. ODC is so lucky to have an amazing individual such as Tsou to lead them through great performances and to the finish line!