Polls

What are your Valentine’s Day plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

About Threads: A Social Media App Breaking Download Records

Caitlyn Chau

Upon its recent launch, Threads, an app under the company Meta Platforms (also known as Meta), has amassed more than 100 million downloads- setting a new record as “the fastest-growing online platform in history” according to Forbes.

Meta Platforms itself is a company responsible for some of the world’s most popular social media apps, including but not limited to applications like Instagram, Whatsapp, and Facebook.

But what is Threads? According to Instagram’s Help Center, “Threads is an app from Instagram where you can post threads, reply to others and follow profiles you’re interested in. Threads and replies can include short pieces of text, links, photos, videos or any combination of them.” Essentially, the purpose of Threads is to connect with people from almost anywhere in the world (Threads is available in over 100 countries), both linguistically and visually. 

Threads holds significant potential to be a valuable source in our community. Similarly to popular social media applications, like Instagram, the recently released app provides our community with valuable information on just about everything—job opportunities, events nearby, piano tutorials, random facts, and much, much more. 

So far, Threads has received some positive support and feedback from some Arcadia High School (AHS) Students. Upon being asked about their overall impression of Threads, students seemed to have optimistic views (and predictions) for the app. 

“I think it’s interesting, I don’t know too much about it. It seems a little bit like Twitter but it seems cool, you know?” Akanksha Biju, a freshman, stated.

Biju was not the only one with an optimistic impression surrounding the application. “I don’t know about it, but it it sounds fun,” Jayleen Diaz, a junior, answered.

In another interview, “I don’t know anything about it, I just know it exists, and that’s all,” said Senior Isaac Cheng. 

In addition to AHS Students, the app has also received positive feedback in the online community.

Under the subtitle “What Do We Like About the Threads App?” Mobile App Daily stated, “The Threads app supports seamless integration with the Instagram handle. Users can carry forward their follower list, verification badge, and more to their Threads account. You can follow the same users or discover new content creators on the app.” To clarify, the article is saying that the application made it extremely simple to transfer your Instagram journey to Threads. In addition to “Seamless Integration,” the article also commended the application’s “Simple Interface,” “Advanced Privacy Control,” and “Platform Availability.”

However, Threads may soon face a lawsuit as the app’s main rival so far, X (formerly known as Twitter), has reportedly threatened to take legal action against Meta Platforms due to accounts of multiple accusations in a recent cease-and-desist letter to the company. It is currently unknown whether or not  X will officially sue Meta.

As of now, Threads has (according to CNN) “‘tens of millions daily users.’” The article also mentions Meta founder and CEO, Mark Zuckerburg, and his hopeful vision for the app. “I’m very optimistic about how the Threads community is coming together,” Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in a post on the platform Monday. “Early growth was off the charts, but more importantly tens of millions of people now come back daily…the focus for the rest of the year is improving the basics and retention.”

Currently, Threads appears to be thriving upon its record breaking start, with the app still having some positive support. It is unclear what the future holds in regards to Threads’ technological updates (i.e. new features, changes, and more).

Photo by Caitlyn Chau