Polls

What are your Valentine’s Day plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Varsity Girls Tennis vs. Burroughs

Isaac Leung

After their record-breaking season last year, the Arcadia High School Girls Varsity Tennis team is playing astonishingly with a team record of 3-2 for their season as of their game on Sept. 7, 2023. The team’s most recent match was against Burroughs High School, and was held at the Arcadia High School tennis courts. The Apaches came away with a 17-1 victory.

With skyrocketing temperatures above 90 degrees, both teams knew that this match was not going to be a simple one. The match officially started at 3:30 p.m., and lasted more than two hours in the scorching sun. However, the Arcadia athletes have built resilience against the heat due to their extensive training. 

“[The tennis team] practiced everyday for at least two hours and conditioned as well so that really prepares us to have the stamina and energy and hit the balls well,” stated Annika Chan, a sophomore on the team. 

“We do a lot of conditioning in the beginning: a good 30 to 40 minutes running, stretching, footwork and stuff,” Coach Richard Chen said in a separate interview.

“During the season, I play three hours after school, and I play like an hour and a half every other day after practice,” said sophomore Kaarthija Selvakkumaran, who plays both singles and doubles.

However, the Apaches’ training paid off as they surpassed their expectations while aiming for the win. “I thought I was going to lose a game because I would choke and lose a game or two, but I didn’t and I won without losing a single game,” explained sophomore Iris Chen. 

“Matches are going really well right now. we’re sweeping in doubles, and overall we are winning. I think we’re definitely going to win today’s match after last year’s performance, and now it’s going great,” emphasized Chan in a separate interview. 

Chan’s prediction did prove to be true in the end thanks to the girls’ dedication and their coach’s instruction. Coach Chen has played tennis himself for more than 35 years, and coached for over 30 years. Coach Chen is also certified by the United States Professional Tennis Association (also known as the USPTA). The team is also trained by assistant coach Justin Kim.

Currently, the team’s next game will be against Glendale on Sept. 21. Good luck to our spectacular lady Apaches!

Photo by Isaac Leung