Polls

What are your Valentine’s Day plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Raising Cane’s

Raising+Canes

Chicken fingers and french fries are a must-have item on the kid’s menu for the majority of restaurants. For parents, they are often considered a lifesaver for young children who are too picky for the flavors of adult meals. Raising Cane’s has been dominating the chicken finger industry for the past two decades, whether its customers are small children or adults. One of its newest restaurants opened in May, located at 945 W Huntington Drive, Monrovia, CA.

Raising Cane’s was founded in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 1996. The founder, Todd Graves, was told by his professor that his business would not work, and the bank denied him loans. However, Grave did not abandon his business plan. He moved to Los Angeles and worked long hours as a boilermaker at an oil refinery. This allowed him to raise enough money to go back to Louisiana to build his first restaurant. As of 2023, there are more than 700 restaurants in the United States and several others located in the Middle East. Through Graves’ dedication and perseverance, Raising Cane’s became one of the fastest-growing restaurant chains in the United States. 

So what makes Raising Cane’s different from other fast-food chains? Well, for starters, it has both an efficient drive-thru and a restaurant for customers to sit down and enjoy their meal. Graves has stated that Raising Cane’s sole goal is to serve crave-able and quality chicken fingers for their customers.

Additionally, the simplicity of Raising Cane’s menu allows decision-making to be quick and easy for thousands of hungry people. Its menu only consists of freshly fried chicken fingers, crinkle-cut fries, Texas toast, coleslaw, iced tea (sweetened or unsweetened), freshly squeezed lemonade, and their famous Cane’s sauce. 

“The different side choices and drinks compliment the chicken fingers very well,” said junior Erline Choon.

Unlike other fast food restaurants, Raising Cane’s does not use heat lamps or warmers to maintain the temperature of their food; instead, workers make all the food fresh when the customer places their order. The use of heat lamps robs the original texture and taste of the fried foods. The Cane’s sauce is described to have a hint of tanginess and a little bit of heat. People often compare it to ranch dressing with a spice mix. Cane’s pays attention to small details, such as the special ice in drinks. The ice is crushed into pellet-sized spheres because it absorbs the drink rather than diluting it. By using pellet-sized ice rather than solid blocks of ice, it helps to enhance the flavors of the drink. 

“I like how unique and different the ice is. I have never seen it before in other fast-food restaurants,” stated sophomore Jasmine Radle.

Raising Cane’s is an excellent choice for a quick meal or even as a comfort food. The quality and care it takes to their food allows it to stand out from other fast-food chains. 

Photo by Emma Chen