10 Healthy Snacks To Try

Sofia Payan-Siegrist, Staff Writer

Want to unlock your full academic potential? It starts with what you eat. Eating healthily throughout the day is an essential part of being a good student. Food not only fuels your body, it provides your body with vitamins and energy that drive focus in class and improve your overall academic performance. So, instead of grabbing a cup of Starbucks or a bag of chips, try some of these delicious and filling snack combinations!

1. Brown rice cakes

Plain brown rice cakes are rich in proteins and healthy carbohydrates, offering more vitamins and lipids than complex carbohydrates. Instead of eating these cakes by themselves, try spreading some peanut butter on top and adding slices of bananas, apples or berries for a high-protein sweet snack. For a more savory option, spread half an avocado on top of the rice cake and add cherry tomatoes for a delectable and quick snack. These antioxidant-filled cakes can also be paired with a variety of healthy combinations including hummus and cucumbers; Brie cheese and apple slices; and cream cheese and salmon. Feel free to experiment with different spreads and toppings to find the perfect addition to rice cakes. All the ingredients listed above are easily available at local grocery stores and are also budget friendly. 

2. Trader Joe’s Go Raw Nut Mix

Trader Joe’s raw nut mix is a great snack option, as are raw nuts in general. Nuts are high in protein and unsaturated fats, which improve cholesterol levels and stabilize heart rhythms. This particular brand mix includes raisins, cashews, almonds, hazelnuts, and walnuts. You can enjoy this nut combination alone or add some to a bowl of Greek yogurt for an extra boost of energy.

3. Chia seed bars

If you’re tired of your go-to protein bar and want to try something new, this option is definitely for you. Chia seed bars include a variety of different nuts drizzled with agave syrup. If you have a sweet tooth, give these bars a try. You won’t regret it! Shop your local Trader Joe’s if you are interested in purchasing this snack. 

4. Trader Joe’s kale chips

As you can see, Trader Joe’s offers a variety of healthy snacks. One particular favorite among customers is Trader Joe’s gluten-free kale chips. These chips are packed with iron and calcium, making them a nutritious alternative to traditional chips.

5. GoGo squeeZ applesauce 

These minimally processed pouches of applesauce are not only delicious but are also healthy. Applesauce contains soluble fiber which helps lower cholesterol levels, which helps reduce your risk of heart disease or heart attacks. You can purchase this snack at your local grocery store.

“I like GoGo squeeZ because it’s a small and light snack,” stated freshman Emilia Gonzalez, a dedicated runner and student. 

6. SkinnyPop Popcorn 

Another healthy option is SkinnyPop popcorn which can be found at local grocery stores. This simple blend of popcorn is minimally processed,includes fiber, and is free of preservatives, Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) and gluten. This snack is a great option for those looking for a lighter snack. SkinnyPop can be found at your local grocery store. 

7. Wonderful Pistachios Roasted and Salted

When asked what her favorite healthy snack was, freshman Tanya Gupta responded, ”I really love pistachios. They’re salty and delicious, and they’re so fun to eat.”

Pistachios in general are high in antioxidants and protein and offer a filling snack. Although any brand of pistachios can be bought at the grocery store, the brand Wonderful includes a simple and healthy yet delicious blend that is perfect if you’re considering this snack as an option. Wonderful is also non-GMO project verified which is one factor that makes it one of the highest quality snack seller on the market. 

8. Food Should Taste Good Tortilla Chips Whole Grain 

These whole grain tortilla chips are an excellent choice. They are delicious by themselves or with hummus and are made of 100% whole grain. This crunchy snack is a great source of fiber and protein. You can find this snack at Walmart or your local grocery store. 

9. POPPI Sparkling Probiotic Soda 

This light beverage is a great alternative to soda or sparkling water due to its lower sugar content and included probiotics. Prebiotics feed our gut bacteria, which helps improve gut function and increase your immunity. The variety of flavors offered are similar to classic sodas such as Doctor Pepper and Coca-Cola. You can purchase these healthy drinks at Walmart or on Amazon

10. NATIERRA Nature’s all Foods Organic Freeze-Dried Mangoes

Dried fruit is a great sweet snack with more fiber and antioxidants than fresh fruit. Coincidentally, it’s also easier to pack in your backpack. You can find this particular brand of dried mango at Walmart or on Amazon. 

Trying one of these snacks is one step towards leading a healthier diet and fueling your body with all the nutrients it needs to function. If you can spare some time, consider visiting your local grocery store and stocking up on a few of these snacks for the week. By doing so, you’ll be taking proactive measures to prioritize your well-being.

Photo Courtesy of UNSPLASH.COM