Boys Varsity Volleyball vs. Pasadena

Clarissa Suryapranata, Staff Writer

The Arcadia High School (AHS) North Gym was packed with an enthusiastic crowd watching the AHS Boys Varsity Volleyball team play against Pasadena High School (PHS) on Apr. 12. The Apaches won with a final score of 3-0 out of the three sets they played, taking home another win in the Pacific League and making their current season record 6-1. 

Prior to the start of the game, the team practiced ball control with one another in order to maximize their performances. As they wrapped up their warm-ups, the Apaches huddled around and chanted as a team when the sound of whistle was heard, declaring the start of the first set. 

The Apaches and the Bulldogs started off with a few service errors and offensive errors, hitting out of bounds. Despite their initial blunders, the Apaches were taking the lead with a score of 13-9 in the first 10 minutes of the game. The team slowly got into better shape and made powerful spikes and very close saves each time the ball almost hit the ground. Arcadia’s coordination skills were immaculate as the players responded swiftly to the ball coming towards them. The first set lasted about 20 minutes, and the score was 25-20 in favor of Arcadia. 

The two teams took a five-minute break, then immediately proceeded to the second set of the game. Lots of cheering and Apaches spirit filled the gym as Arcadia scored a marvelous two points just a minute into the second set. Pasadena gained a point not long after, when an Apache accidentally came in contact with the net. The teams were playing at a 10-point gap, with each team alternatingly earning a point. The Apaches showed incredible teamwork and communication as the players made excellent dives to save the ball, followed by fierce spikes to the other side of the court. The second set ended with Arcadia still in the lead and a score of 25-16. 

The third set went on with both teams playing at a tie. Pasadena made a comeback and caught up faster this time, exemplifying amazing defensive skills. A one-minute time-out was called by Pasadena, and each team gathered together and strategized before continuing with the game. As the teams carried on in the set, the ball went flying high, almost hitting the ceiling of the gym when an Apache tried to make a save. In the end, it resulted in a point for Arcadia. Pasadena played remarkably in the last few minutes of the game, blocking the ball exceptionally well. The entire game only consisted of three sets, and Arcadia finished off the last one with a score of 25-13. 

Overall, the Apaches did a fantastic job of both sustaining their score and improving their skills during the game as it progressed. 

AHS junior and defense specialist on the Boys Varsity Volleyball team Caleb James Lee felt that he did pretty well playing multiple different positions in the game. 

“I’m proud of my passing, although it can always be better,” stated Lee. “I think [it] could be better as consistency is always something that could be improved.” 

Boys Varsity Volleyball assistant coach Jose Gonzalez felt that the team did better than expected in this game against PHS, although he thought that their blocking could have been a little better. 

“The communication between the setters and the hitters is pretty good,” said Coach Gonzalez. “Our [opposite] hitting is inconsistent right now. So to make our offense a little more multifaceted and more difficult to defend, we need to shore up our right-side hitting.” 

A huge congratulations to the Boys Varsity Volleyball team on their outstanding victory, and best of luck for the remaining games this season to come!

Photo courtesy of Arcadia DCI Intern Angela Ren