Asian and Pacific Islander American Studies Class

As the 2023-2024 school year is approaching, Arcadia High School (AHS) students are starting to decide on the classes they are going to take, and preparing for the upcoming course selection process. If you are a rising sophomore, junior, or senior, you are eligible to take the new social science elective, Asian American and Pacific Islander Studies (AAPI Studies).

AAPI Studies is a semester-long class that is recommended to be paired with any other semester elective. According to the Course Curriculum Guide, AAPI Studies focuses on the historic and contemporary AAPI migration from East Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia, and the Pacific Islands; the struggle for civil rights, equality, and justice in the U.S.; and contemporary issues that affect the AAPI community. Students will learn about the experience of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders from their historical origins to modern-day challenges that Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders continue to face. By taking this course, students can obtain a deeper understanding of AAPI culture. 

Mr. Matthew Wong, who teaches a wide range of social studies at AHS, emphasized the importance and uniqueness of this class.

“It is an awesome class; it really is an opportunity for students to learn more about themselves, particularly for students who [identify] as AAPI,” said Mr. Wong. “Given how a majority of our student population is AAPI, this class is designed for students to learn and cover a full story of AAPI here in the United States. It will cover topics you will not find in other classes such as popular culture, music, arts, and entertainment.”

Beyond that, Mr. Wong also highlighted that AAPI Studies is an ethnic studies class, which may “fulfill a graduation requirement in the future.” He also mentioned that many previous seniors have eagerly asked for this course, as they wanted to see themselves being represented in the curriculum.

“The class is meant to be enlightening and empowering,” said Mr. Gerry Wang, one of the teachers in the Social Science Department who helped in the creation of the AAPI Studies class. “We aim for students taking it to feel emboldened to take actions to create the society that they want to live in. We want to celebrate AAPI culture, expression, and voice.”

Aside from covering the history of the AAPI experience, this class will also include present-day topics, events, and issues. In addition, this class will partly fill in some areas that other social science classes like Modern World History, AP Human Geography, and U.S. History don’t have time to cover. 

In this class, students will analyze racial issues and systems of power which impact the lives and interactions of minority groups inside American society. This class does not use textbooks, but there will be short readings related to the topics that students will study. 

Both Mr. Wong and Mr. Wang agreed upon the objective for AAPI Studies, claiming that it should be “seminar-based” rather than a traditional history course. It should be the class where students have the opportunity to explore their identities and will all be graded on their effort, participation, and engagement. 

We don’t want only AAPI students to take the class,” commented Mr. Wang. “The way to make a better world is through allyship between all ethnic groups.”

The upcoming academic year offers all students an exciting opportunity to broaden their perspectives and improve their comprehension of the history and culture of AAPIs. Taking AAPI Studies is a chance to expand your knowledge of the environment we live in and the various groups that make up our school and community!

Graphic courtesy of Mr. Wang