SCSBOA Concert

Harini Devaguptapu, Staff Writer

Arcadia High School (AHS) had a concert on the morning of Mar. 23, which was being judged as the Southern California School Band and Orchestra Association Festival (SCSBOA). This was a prelude for the spring concert that occurred that evening at 7:00 p.m. In the morning, the bands and orchestras went up on stage in the Performing Arts Center, playing the pieces they practiced and were going to perform in the spring concert. 

Making a special appearance was First Avenue Middle School, led by Seth Murphy, who was previously a co-director at AHS. Students set up for their concert between each of the groups; setting up the chairs and music stands and making sure that there were enough, so that it was perfect for the people who would be coming in with their instruments to play. Before each performance, there was an introductory audio played to introduce the group playing, some rules for the audience, and information about what would be happening. Each band played each of their pieces smoothly, and comfortably. The pieces they chose were well rehearsed and enjoyable for the audience. 

Throughout the performance, we could hear the judges discussing the performances and marking down their thoughts. There were also plenty of students who had come in to observe the performances. 

“For the 13th year in a row, AHS’ Orchestras have received the highest possible ranking. The String, Concert, and Symphony Orchestras got superior rankings from all three adjudicators for their performance, as well as Superior ratings for their sight reading evaluation,” Principal’s Secretary Mrs. Shari Rudolph shared with the staff.

The performances were great. Everyone worked hard to make the pieces sound really good, and there was a lot of teamwork between the students. Check out what the Arcadia High School band and orchestra are doing next!

Photo Courtesy of Lorin Teng