Brief: 2023 Gatsby Day

Photos by Lorin Teng and Katrina Reghitto

Ziming (Sarah) Wang, Staff Writer

The junior English classes at Arcadia High School (AHS) held their annual Gatsby Day on Mar. 30. This AHS tradition has existed for more than 20 years and serves as an exciting highlight that many students look forward to. 

After reading the famous novel The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, junior English students were asked to plan a Gatsby-themed party to learn about the customs of the Roaring Twenties and enjoy themselves before spring break. On the party day, juniors dressed themselves in 1920s fashion and brought food and supplies to decorate their classrooms to better fit the nostalgic atmosphere. 

Upon visiting Mrs. Cathy DeSurra’s AP Language and Composition class, the room was filled with gold and black decorations with plates of fancy delicacies on the table. With all the hard work and dedicated planning, the party was held successfully. 

“For the party, I made some newspapers, brought some stuffed animals, and some flowers,” said junior Kaitlyn Tran. “Our group created a spreadsheet to assign people to bring different things depending on what they have. We also called [the night before] to arrange everything.”

Junior Yoon Htet was in charge of bringing muffins, and her team members brought apple cider and other snacks.

“I’m feeling good about the party, and everything’s looking really nice right now,” said Htet.

Overall, the Gatsby party was a phenomenal and refreshing experience for students.