Club Feature: Mental Health Awareness Club

Annie Jiang, Staff Writer

Wellness is important for human beings and has four components: spiritual wellness, emotional wellness, physical wellness, and social wellness. But unfortunately, it is hard for AHS students to maintain their mental health due to excessive pressure, which could potentially lead to the failure of thriving in any form of wellness. 

But don’t forget: there are always resources out there if you think you need help! Besides the safe space, the AHS Wellness Center provides for students each day, a club called Mental Health Awareness Club (MHAC) focuses on all aspects related to mental health.

High school students run the gauntlet of tiring academics, peer and parental pressure, and toxic relationships. It is especially apparent among AHS students according to most students’ overwhelming stress. We always try to live in a way that will help us achieve certain goals, but usually tend to forget the fact that we, as students, are human beings as well.

Taking some time to go to a club like MHAC offers students relief from stress. It helps its members to recognize themselves as people and ensures their sense of self-worth is instilled in them. MHAC holds different activities each week to help students improve their mental health. There are presentations to encourage members to acknowledge their self-worth and value, the club holds numerous activities to raise mental health awareness beyond the club itself. Members of the club can also earn volunteer hours through those activities such as making paintings that can help spread awareness in addition to the many volunteer opportunities they provide.

“Arcadia MHAC provides a safe place for AHS students to share their experiences and thoughts regarding mental health and wellness,” said MHAC Secretary, junior Disha Ramanujam. “The club teaches members important information like how to manage one’s mental health during finals weeks, or how to support friends dealing with mental illness. Overall, Arcadia MHAC is crucial to spread awareness about mental health awareness, creating valuable relationships between students in the process.”

It is easy to encounter endless stress as a high school student. But there will always be support systems out there on campus, just like MHAC. If you wish to learn more about mental health, spread awareness, or just want relief from stress, you are always welcome to stop by room S205 every Tuesday during lunch to take time for yourself.

Photo courtesy of The Arcadian