American Diabetes Alert Day

Clarissa Suryapranata, Staff Writer

Diabetes is a long-term health condition that is caused when a person’s body isn’t able to produce sufficient insulin, a hormone created by the pancreas, to control the amount of glucose in their bloodstream. In the long run, too much blood sugar in the bloodstream can cause even more fatal diseases in other internal organs such as the kidneys or heart. About 102,188 Americans die from this disease annually.

American Diabetes Alert Day was first established in 1988, and is observed each year on the fourth Tuesday of March by the American Diabetes Association which serves as a reminder of the seriousness of the disease, as well as raising awareness about the risks and symptoms of this global health issue. 

The first ever symptom of diabetes was recorded in Egypt in 1552 B.C., where physician Hesy-Ra noted that frequent urination was one of its effects. The disease currently known as diabetes was originally described as “the melting down of flesh and limbs into urine” by the Greek physician Arateus in 150 A.D. The condition was first referred to as “Diabetes Mellitus” in 1675 due to the presence of sweetness in the urine. In the 18th and 19th centuries, physicians realized that this disease could be controlled by changes in one’s diet. This then led to Canadian physician Frederick Banting to discover insulin to treat diabetes in 1921. 

There are three main types of diabetes: type 1, type 2, and gestational diabetes. In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas does not produce insulin because the body’s immune system attacks the cells that make them, preventing the pancreas from doing so. In type 2, the body still produces insulin, however not enough for it to be used efficiently. Gestational diabetes is diabetes diagnosed for the first time during pregnancy, when the body isn’t able to make sufficient insulin throughout the pregnancy period. Diabetes is mainly a genetic disease, but it can also be caused by other lifestyle factors such as obesity and inactivity. Roughly one in five Americans living with this disease are unaware that they have it, and some completely neglect it. People with diabetes often develop other health conditions later on such as blindness, kidney failure, heart attacks, and strokes. 

“It’s important to increase awareness on diabetes as it is a serious illness that affects the life of friends, family, and possibly even ourselves,” commented Arcadia High School junior Jodie Chang.

With this, it helps to take the Diabetes Risk Test to find out if there is a possibility of obtaining the disease without knowing it, or even to understand more about this issue to be able to help the people suffering from it. In terms of prevention, becoming more physically active and eating healthy can highly reduce the chances of acquiring this disease. 

This day is extremely important as it highlights the dangers associated with diabetes as people tend to take this matter too lightly because of how common it is. With more people taking proactive measures regarding this disease, the number of deaths caused by it will hopefully lessen over time. 

Photo by Towfiqu Barbhuiya