Happiness > Money

Victoria Mair, Staff Writer

As teenagers grow and mature into young adults, we are frequently asked the question, “What is your dream job?” or “What do you want to study?” But oftentimes, teens interpret that  question more like, “What job do you think you would earn the most in when you graduate?” Although you can tell that these are two completely different questions, when considering the reality of the world, they can often seem identical. 

As someone whose family is of a lower socioeconomic status, I dream of a future with a lot of money so I can have a sense of security. However, I don’t want to sacrifice my happiness for wealth—-I’d prefer a life where I can’t wait to go to college, or wake up the next day for work. Of course, high-paying jobs may seem like the best option when considering financial security, but choosing to dedicate ourselves to something we love is also important. Sometimes, a person may feel afraid when it comes to choosing their future career. We don’t know what the future holds, and yet, I’ve occasionally felt the responsibility to reach for something greater, something that has the majority of the world’s attention, such as a high-paying career. But I’ve realized that the world is wonderful because of the different kinds of people with different kinds of talents. If most of the population chose their jobs based on salary, the world would have lost out on a great deal of innovation.

“Paulo Coelho says it well, ‘Of course, to have money is just great because you can do what you think is important to you. I always was a rich person because money’s not related to happiness.’ My parents always told me that, ‘Money can’t buy happiness.’ and these are words I have lived by in making many big decisions in life (career, travel, kid, etc),” said Ms. Samantha Silverman, a Spanish teacher at Arcadia High School. 

Society generally informs us that the best option in life is to go to school for 12 to 16 years, then get a degree that tells the world that you are officially prepared to work in a high-paying job in domains such as law, medicine, or engineering. But what if someone said that choosing one of the highest-paying jobs would prevent you from expressing your true talent or passion? 

Lindsey Macmillan, author of two novels “The Heart of the Deal” and “Double-Decker Dreams” always had a passion for writing since the first grade. But when it was time to choose her career, she felt that the empirical decision in choosing a major aligned with business was a better choice. Eventually, she was hired into an investment firm, Goldman Sachs, earning about $100,000 as a vice president. However, she did not enjoy the occupation she had chosen and the promotion did not prevent her from following her dream. During her time as an investment banker, she worked on enhancing her writing skills to become a full-time author. When she felt that she had finally written the perfect novel, she dismissed herself from the investment firm and went back to her hometown in Michigan making “about $1 a book”. 

As of 2020 the median salary for STEM jobs has been $98,340, whereas the art industry’s income falls between $46,030 – $61,565. Of course, some people have a passion for mathematics and technology. These people build highways and develop vaccines, and are lucky enough to work in more financially lucrative fields. However, there are also a great number of artists who make you feel like you’re living in the painting, writers that increase your imagination and open your eyes to a different world, and photographers that know how to perfectly capture meaningful moments that aren’t noticed by many. The occupations in the art industry help our society; from creating a safe space through self-discovery to clarity in environmental conflicts. This passion should be promoted rather than squashed by capitalism due to its competency in helping society in the processes of emotions and understanding our surroundings. 

It is natural to ponder our future earnings when choosing a profession, but we should also consider the passion and desire we have to spend on the profession we choose long-term. A career is simply an occupation where someone has a talent for a specific hobby or activity, it’s not supposed to be only a priority of income where we dismiss our passion.  

When I was in first grade, the teacher assigned her students to a project: we each had to come to school the next day dressed in the profession of our dreams. I showed up in clothing that made me look like a tin can, emphasizing the idea that I wanted to do robotics (at the time). My other classmates entered the room with many unique and creative outfits, but to this day, I remember one specifically: a boy, dressed as a mail carrier. When it was his turn to present, he proudly stood up in front of the class and said, “I want to be a mailman!” and gave a very meaningful speech explaining why. 

You could argue that he was just a little boy, and wasn’t aware that there’s more to the world than just mail and letters. But mail carriers help meaningful love letters reach those with a special admirer; they deliver everything from party invitations to baby goods. I admired that boy when he said he wanted to be a mailman: he wanted to have the pleasure of helping people receive valuable items, and that’s the only purpose that mattered to him. Although money is a necessary need to be part of societal standards, the idea of fulfillment in helping our society is a greater inducement.

“All the stuff that we want from our work, the opportunity to feel like we are ourselves, the opportunity to open our minds, to broaden and build and grow, all those only happen when you’re doing something that you love,” said best selling author Marcus Buckingham.

Part of our society thinks that money brings happiness. I used to see it the same way. But imagine yourself spending multiple hours a week working on something you’re passionate about, and eventually, you get a promotion, or you’re recognized for your talent and people are amazed by your ideas and achievements. When you receive that promotion or applause from an audience, you’ll know that all of the hard work wasn’t painful, it was something that made you stronger; you became highly specialized in something meaningful to you. Money is a necessity in our lives, as it has the power to pay for our desire for material things. However, money can’t spark a light in us—the extreme excitement and curiosity to enhance something or become more experienced individuals. As human beings, we should honor ourselves by doing the things that we love—things that bring happiness to us and make us feel whole.

Photo courtesy of UNSPLASH.COM