AHS Celebrates Valentine’s Day

Ava Shaw, Staff Writer

All throughout campus, many students were seen carrying flowers, balloons, and teddy bears on Feb. 14 for Valentine’s Day. Encouraged to wear red, purple, or pink, students celebrated the holiday with festive events organized by a variety of student organizations.

As an early celebration, Arcadia High School’s (AHS) Prom Committee hosted “Melting For You,” a fundraiser for the upcoming dance. A few weeks leading up to the event, members of the committee sold candles for $5 each. Those who purchased a candle could select from a lavender, vanilla, or eucalyptus scent. On Feb. 10, during the event, students assembled their candles at a series of stations stocked with wax, scented oils, measuring cups, and other crafts supplies. Students added hidden messages using letter beads to personalize their creations.

Additionally, ASB sold an array of colorful scented soaps and rubber ducks. The soaps were arranged nicely in packages to look like succulents, roses, and other fun shapes that are perfect for gifting. 

Another exciting activity was the “Soul Mate Search” presented by AHS’ Speech and Debate team. By scanning the QR code on posters hanging around campus, students accessed a matchmaker questionnaire. The questions touched on subjects like personality, and interests, such as music taste. Once the form was submitted, the answers were compared to other students’ responses, hopefully leading them to their perfect match. For $5, students received their highly awaited results on Valentine’s Day. The matches went beyond romantic love, and also included matches for potential friendships. 

“I didn’t take it very seriously. I really just wanted to see who I got matched with for fun,” said sophomore Austin La. “It was funny getting my results because I was surprised at some of the names on the list.”

Moreover, AHS’ Speech and Debate team sold and distributed candy apple grams as well. During periods 1 and 3, students in Speech and Debate delivered the sweet treats to classrooms across campus. Recipients received a candy apple along with a thoughtful note written by the person who gifted them the gram. 

Similarly, during period 4, ASB distributed carnation grams—an annual tradition. The grams could be bought for $2. Students wrote heartfelt notes to their friends or a special someone, which were later delivered along with a carnation flower. Students carrying bright pink, orange, red, and purple carnations could be spotted all throughout the school.

“I don’t really view Valentine’s Day in the traditional manner,” said junior Kailey Chau. “I celebrate the holiday by giving gifts to my friends so that they feel appreciated.”

Many clubs at AHS also participated in Valentine’s festivities. The Filipino Culture club watched a Filipino romance movie titled She’s Dating the Gangster, during their weekly lunch meeting. Members enjoyed fried chicken from the Filipino fast food chain Jollibee as they viewed the film. 

During lunch, ASB hosted an event called “Love is in The Air.” In the Rally Court, students were treated to a selection of festive temporary tattoos, as well as a photo booth with a Valentine’s Day themed background where people could take pictures with their friends.

“I love the picture that I took with my friends because it is super cute and meaningful to me,” said freshman Frank Zhang.

These activities were a lovely way to celebrate romance, friendship, and all else in between. Valentine’s Day may have concluded, but students at AHS will continue to show their love for one another all year long.

Photo courtesy of ASB