A Hole In One

Justin Chen, Writer

The AHS Boys Varsity Golf team has played phenomenally this season. The members were undefeated through their season, winning by countless strokes each league match. After playing their Pacific League Team Finals at Whittier Narrows, six out of the seven golfers that made the CIF Individual first round were Apaches. Great Work! However, after the CIF Individual first round, only one Apache, senior Ken Kong, advanced to the CIF Individual second round. Freshman Joshua Kwon stated that “the greens were faster than what the team [usually] practices on and the wind was on and off.” Even though Ken was the only one to pass the CIF Individual first round, the golf team still has the CIF Team rounds for redemption. Best of luck Apaches!

When asked about how he felt on the season this year, sophomore Edward Wu remarked, “I felt this season was a success because all six of our varsity players made it to CIF. This year was one of the strongest teams we ever had. All of us were motivated to play our best.” Edward’s positive attitude has helped him boost team morale and always keeps the team smiling.
Next, when asked about what his favorite memories from this season were, senior Peter Ju stated, “Because I’m a senior and this is my last season playing for the golf team, each league match and CIF round was special. I found myself reflecting back on the opportunity to play high school golf for all four years quite often, and being able to lead a wonderful group of guys was an amazing experience.” Team captain Peter Ju has been a great leader and role model for the team, and we wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.

Moving on, when asked about what he learned this season, freshman David Ju commented that he “learned that golf is fun if you open up and talk to people while playing.” David’s friendly personality has lead him to make plenty of new friends on the golf course, while still improving his game.

Overall, Boys Varsity Golf has done great this season, and will strive to do even better at CIF. We wish you the best of luck Apaches!

Photo Courtesy of Kylen Yu