National Poverty in America Awareness Month

Annie Jiang, Staff Writer

Each year offers a fresh new start. Other than the celebration of the new year, January is also National Poverty in America Awareness Month.

Poverty is defined as financial difficulties in meeting basic needs such as food, clothing, or housing. Its status is established by comparing annual income to a series of incomes that vary by family size, the number of children, and the age of the householder. As an example for 2023 coverage, the federal poverty line is $13,590 for an individual and $27,750 for a household of four. In the nation, there are approximately 140 million poor and low-income people in the U.S. according to the Poor People’s Campaign. We can easily infer that millions of Americans are only one job loss, missed payment, or unexpected medical expense away from going hungry, showing that the problem of poverty is nearly impossible to be eradicated.

Taking a look at the city of Arcadia, it is often hard to realize the poverty that exists inside this community of affluence. There are unhoused people and people experiencing food insecurity and there are residents who struggle to pay for the high standard of living. When we look at the statistics from the United States Census Bureau, Arcadia residents living in poverty in recent years approximated 8.9%.

Life in poverty, however, implies more serious repercussions than just not having enough money to afford a reasonable standard of living. Lack of decent, reasonably priced housing may cause social problems like homelessness, low educational achievement, and mental and physical illness. When families are unable to afford medical services or when parents are unable to take their kids to school, it will negatively affect the whole community as well as individual well beings. And in terms of health situations, the limitations poverty puts on people’s ability to afford food will eventually lead to the result of food insecurity.

The goal of National Poverty in America Awareness Month is to raise awareness of the harsh living conditions that many Americans experience. Given the destruction that the coronavirus pandemic and the ensuing economic turmoil have caused in families and communities throughout the nation, this year’s tribute is far more significant than ever.

As students, we can help to raise awareness through volunteering. For example, Foothill Unity Center is a great place to make an impact in nearby communities surrounding the San Gabriel Valley. It provides programs that focus on Food, Health, Crisis Case Management, Job Development, and Housing and Homeless Services. Whether to participate in a food drive, get informed through reading, or make DIY kits for the homeless in our own communities, everything will make a difference.

Photo by Nick Fewings