2023 College Football Playoff National Championship

Ava Shaw, Staff Writer

The Georgia Bulldogs recently made history at the College Football Playoff (CFP) National Championship, with their victory against the Texas Christian University (TCU) Horned Frogs. The game took place on Jan. 9 at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California, where the Bulldogs won 65-7, the most points ever scored and the largest blowout at a CFP National Championship game. No. 3 TCU came in as underdogs against No. 1 Georgia, the reigning champions from 2022. TCU was hoping for a win to close out their “Cinderella run” of a season, be it that they are a private Christian university not usually seen as prestigious as many of the other playoff teams this year. However, clutching back-to-back titles seemed an easy feat for the highly revered Bulldogs.

The game started off with TCU unable to score and Georgia quarterback Stetson Bennet making a 21-yard rushing touchdown in the next possession. The Bulldogs proved just how dominant they were early on, as Georgia recovered an unfortunate fumble by TCU wide receiver Derius Davis. Luckily, the Horned Frogs got some points on the board, when quarterback Max Duggan was able to run in a touchdown, making the score a closer 10-7. However, things only went downhill from there for the Horned Frogs, as that would be TCU’s only touchdown. The Bulldogs were able to secure a 31 point lead by the end of the first half.

“I had hope at the beginning of the game, but that quickly changed. Georgia made touchdown after touchdown, making it look easy,” noted sophomore Emily Truong. “I like to root for the underdog, so it was hard to watch such a difficult loss.”

By the second half of the game, it became clear that TCU was no match for Georgia’s elite offense and defense. The Bulldogs scored 27 points on top of their already substantial lead. Georgia’s players could be seen celebrating as they ate chicken wings on the sidelines. Their backups easily closed out the game, securing a victory.

Although a gruesome ending for TCU, they were able to end their season with an impressive 13-2 record. Their quarterback Max Duggan was also named as a Heisman finalist, a prestigious award that was ultimately won by USC quarterback Caleb Williams.

Like many fans however, sophomore Ariana Hernandez was disappointed by the game’s results. She commented, “I was mostly let down by the fact that they only made one touchdown. TCU’s defense also seemed awfully weak.”

As for the victorious Georgia Bulldogs, they ended their season undefeated with a standing ovation by the fans. Quarterback Stetson Bennet, who was also a Heisman finalist, was awarded Offensive MVP. He threw 304 yards and helped score six touchdowns in the championship game alone.

In a post game-interview, Bennet offered some words of wisdom, saying, “You gotta work for what you want. You gotta bet on yourself.”

This historic championship game was truly one for the books and an unforgettable way to close out the 2023 college football season. The game was a unique display of undeniable talent, hard work, and dedication; a true testament to why college football is so cherished by fans across the country.

Photo courtesy of FLICKR.COM